Possible Variables in a Planck's Constant Practical?

You have chosen to write about Planck's constant, and are trying to determine which variables to consider in your investigation. Your teacher has advised you to consider two variables for a successful report. However, you are unsure of what other variable to consider as you are still learning about Planck's constant and the Photoelectric effect. In summary, the conversation revolves around a student's practical assignment on Planck's constant and their struggle to determine which variables to consider for a successful report.
Procrastinate
I'm doing a practical for Physics and writing a report on it so I chose Planck's constant. I know that one of the variables I can change could be the frequency of the oscillating waves but my teacher says that you should consider two variables if you want to do well.

I don't know what other variable to consider in this case since I'm only just starting to leaern abut Planck's constant and the Photoelectric effect.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your description is far too vague for us to really be able to help you. WHAT question specifically are you trying to answer about Planck's constant? Also, WHAT variables are you referring to? I can guess what, "the frequency of the oscillating waves" might refer to in this context, but it would be far more helpful if you made that clear.

I am going to assume that a physics "practical" is an assignment in which you are asked to research a topic of physics and write a report about it (which is a pretty strange way of going about learning physics if you ask me).

Last edited:

I would suggest considering the intensity or brightness of the light source as another variable to explore in your practical on Planck's constant. This is because the intensity of light can affect the energy of the photons being emitted, which in turn can affect the results of the Photoelectric effect. By varying the intensity of the light source, you can observe how it affects the number of electrons emitted and the kinetic energy of those electrons. This can provide valuable insights into the relationship between energy and frequency, which is a key concept in understanding Planck's constant. Additionally, you could also consider the type of metal used in the experiment as a variable, as different metals have different work functions which can also impact the results of the Photoelectric effect. By controlling and manipulating these variables, you can further explore the relationship between energy, frequency, and Planck's constant, leading to a more comprehensive and accurate report on your practical.

1. What is Planck's Constant?

Planck's Constant (symbolized as "h") is a physical constant that is used to describe the relationship between the energy of a photon and its frequency. It was first introduced by German physicist Max Planck in 1900.

2. How is Planck's Constant measured?

Planck's Constant is typically measured using a method called the "black body radiation" experiment, where the energy emitted by a black body at different temperatures is measured. Other methods include the photoelectric effect and Compton scattering.

3. What are the possible variables in a Planck's Constant practical?

The possible variables in a Planck's Constant practical may include the temperature of the black body, the frequency of the emitted photons, and the energy of the emitted photons. Other variables may also include the equipment used and experimental conditions.

4. Why is Planck's Constant important?

Planck's Constant is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is also a fundamental constant in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and thermodynamics.

5. How does Planck's Constant relate to the uncertainty principle?

Planck's Constant is one of the key components of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This is because measuring one of these properties will inevitably disturb the other, and Planck's Constant helps us quantify this uncertainty.