Physics -- deriving Planck's constant

In summary, an LED lights up when a minimum voltage is applied, and Planck's constant can be derived from the frequency and ekmax of the electrons given out.
YungSung
hello,

im trying to do this homework, where i have to derive Plancks constant using an experiment where we used some LED lights of different wavelengths to work out voltage at different wavelengths. From that i worked out the frequency and ekmax of the electrons given out. however i have no idea how to derive Plancks constant from this and my teacher was rushing everything so no one understood anything, i don't know the reason behind why we did the experiment in that way.

why did LED lights light up and isn't the photoelectric effect the release of electrons? so why were we seeing whther the LED was lighting up or not at different resistaances?

please help thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there some way you might be able to provide us with a scan of the relevant sections of your lab manual?

this is as level, there is no lab manual

we need to plot a graph and the gradient of that graph will be Plancks constant

Energy can be measured in electron volts (eV) where e is the electron charge, if that helps.

I know I am really late to answer this question, but it might help others. I have attached an image, so refer to that. Do ping if you can't understand or want more information :)
planck's constant.jpeg

YungSung said:
... have to derive Plancks constant using an experiment where we used some LED lights of different wavelengths to work out voltage at different wavelengths. From that i worked out the frequency and ekmax of the electrons given out.
'
'
why did LED lights light up and isn't the photoelectric effect the release of electrons? so why were we seeing whther the LED was lighting up or not at different resistaances?
The photoelectric effect is a process in which incident photons knock out electrons from a conductor's surface or from atoms. This is not the process that occurs in LEDs.

In a (very loose) sense, light production in LEDs is the reverse of the photoelectric effect.

An LED lights up when a minimum voltage is applied (which could be the result of, for example, changing resistance in your experiment).

Have you tried Googling (or whatever you use) "Planck's constant from LEDs"? There is loads of information, including YouTube videos.

And "plancks" should of course be "Planck's"!

1. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted as h, is a fundamental physical constant that appears in the equations of quantum mechanics. It is named after the German physicist, Max Planck, who first introduced it in 1900.

2. How is Planck's constant derived?

Planck's constant is derived through various experiments and mathematical calculations. One of the most famous experiments is the photoelectric effect, which showed that light is made up of particles called photons. Using the data from this experiment, Albert Einstein was able to derive a formula that included Planck's constant.

3. Why is Planck's constant important?

Planck's constant is important because it allows us to understand the quantum behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It is a crucial component in many equations that describe the behavior of atoms and subatomic particles.

4. What is the value of Planck's constant?

The value of Planck's constant is approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds. It is a very small number, but it has enormous implications in the field of quantum mechanics.

5. How has the accuracy of Planck's constant improved over the years?

The accuracy of Planck's constant has improved significantly over the years due to advancements in technology and experimental techniques. Currently, the value is known to 10 significant figures, and efforts are being made to increase this accuracy even further.