Potential across a capacitor in an RC circuit

In summary, the circuit shown in the figure has been connected for a long time and the question is asking for the magnitude of the electric potential across the capacitor. The relevant equations for this problem are Kirchoff's rules, V=IR, V(t)=V_{0} e^{-t/\tau}, C=Q/C, and Q(t)=Q_{f}(1-e^{-t/\tau}). The solution involves redrawing the circuit and analyzing the current flow through the capacitor to determine the potential across its terminals. The potential across the capacitor reaches steady-state once it gains charge, and does not change after that.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4822/2116b.png

The circuit has been connected as shown in the figure for a “long” time.
What is the magnitude of the electric potential across the capacitor?
Answer in units of V.

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's rules
[tex]V = IR[/tex]
[tex]V(t) = V_{0} e^{-t/\tau}[/tex]
[tex]C = \frac{Q}{C}[/tex]
[tex]Q(t) = Q_{f}(1-e^{-t/\tau)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7758/2116.png

That's how I redrew the circuit. But then I got confused. Does the capacitor short circuit the rest of the circuit (i.e., does no current flow in the 15 ohm and 48 ohm resistors)?

If not, I don't get what happens to (I - i1) and i1 once they get to the junction with the capacitor.

Help please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Elbobo said:
Does the capacitor short circuit the rest of the circuit (i.e., does no current flow in the 15 ohm and 48 ohm resistors)?

No. The capacitor might act as a short the very instant the switch is closed, if the capacitor's initial charge was 0. But then when the capacitor gains charge, the potential across its terminals changes until it reaches steady-state. Once the charge in the capacitor reaches steady-state, the potential across its terminals does not change either.

If not, I don't get what happens to (I - i1) and i1 once they get to the junction with the capacitor.

Without giving you the answer, here is a big hint. If the potential (i.e. voltage) across a capacitor's terminals does not change, meaning the capacitor's charge is not changing either, what does that tell you about the current flowing through the capacitor? :wink:

Ah! Thank you, I get it :D

FAQ: Potential across a capacitor in an RC circuit

1. What is potential in an RC circuit?

Potential in an RC circuit refers to the amount of energy stored in a capacitor due to the separation of positive and negative charges across its plates. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the ability of the capacitor to do work.

2. How is potential across a capacitor calculated in an RC circuit?

The potential across a capacitor in an RC circuit can be calculated using the equation V = Q/C, where V is the potential in volts, Q is the charge on the capacitor in coulombs, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor in farads.

3. What is the relationship between potential and capacitance in an RC circuit?

The potential across a capacitor in an RC circuit is directly proportional to the capacitance. This means that as the capacitance increases, the potential also increases, and vice versa.

4. How does the potential across a capacitor change over time in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, the potential across the capacitor will initially increase as the capacitor charges, then gradually decrease as it discharges. The rate at which the potential changes is determined by the time constant, which is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance.

5. How does the potential across a capacitor affect the overall behavior of an RC circuit?

The potential across a capacitor in an RC circuit plays a crucial role in the overall behavior of the circuit. It determines the rate of charging and discharging, as well as the frequency response of the circuit. Additionally, the potential across the capacitor can also affect the potential and current in other components of the circuit.