1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential along the X Axis due to Charge Distribution?

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    I have a question regarding electric potential and infinity. So,

"A square of side length a with uniformly distributed positive charge lies on the yz plane with its center at the origin. What does the graph of the potential along the x axis look like?

The answer given in the textbook is a bell-curved-shaped graph with its maximum at x=0. My question is, Why is there a maximum? According to the equation for potential of a point charge, v = k|Q|/(x), shouldn't the potential approach positive infinity as x approaches zero from either direction, as electric potential is a scalar and the charge is uniform?

I am hoping someone can clear my conceptual misunderstanding.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2
    Potential for a point charge is kq/x but the same expression is not true for a charged square. Take a point at a distance x from centre of square along x axis. Now find the potential at that point due to 4 sides of the square. You must know the expression for potential at a point due to a line charge. That times 4 will give total potential because potential is scalar.
  4. Feb 23, 2015 #3
    That makes perfect sense! Thank you for your prompt response!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook