Calculating Potential Difference in a Series Circuit

In summary, potential difference Va-Vb, also known as voltage difference, is the measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is represented by the symbol ΔV or Vab and is directly proportional to the current in a circuit according to Ohm's Law. The direction of current flow does not affect the potential difference, but it does affect the polarity of the potential difference. Various factors, such as the voltage of the power source and the resistance of the circuit, can affect the potential difference and ultimately impact the flow of current in the circuit.
wkn0524
1. If the current in the 4.0 ohm resistor is 1.4A. What is the magnitude of the potential difference. Va-Vb?

2. V=IR, 1/Req=1/r1 +1/r2 ...

3. Va-Vb= 48V

I was stuck on beginning of the question. I knew how to start if the voltage is given but now asking me to find the potential difference and make me headache. I'm a beginner on the electrical course.

Thank.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,316
Physics news on Phys.org
Potential difference and voltage are two names for the same thing.

Never mind. Deleted.

1. What is potential difference Va-Vb?

Potential difference Va-Vb, also known as voltage difference, is the measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts and can be calculated by subtracting the potential at point B from the potential at point A.

2. How is potential difference Va-Vb represented in an electric circuit?

Potential difference Va-Vb is represented by the symbol ΔV or Vab in an electric circuit. It is typically denoted by a plus and minus sign, indicating the polarity of the potential difference.

3. What is the relationship between potential difference Va-Vb and current in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the potential difference Va-Vb is directly proportional to the current in a circuit. This means that as the potential difference increases, the current also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation V = IR, where V is the potential difference, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the circuit.

4. How does the direction of current flow affect potential difference Va-Vb?

The direction of current flow does not affect the potential difference Va-Vb. This is because potential difference is a measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points, regardless of the direction of current flow. However, the direction of current flow does affect the polarity of the potential difference, with current flowing from the higher potential point to the lower potential point.

5. What factors can affect the potential difference Va-Vb in a circuit?

The potential difference Va-Vb in a circuit can be affected by various factors, including the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material used in the circuit components. Changes in these factors can cause the potential difference to increase or decrease, ultimately affecting the flow of current in the circuit.