Finding q: Balancing Gravitational & Electrostaic Potential Energy

In summary, two identical steel spheres with a mass of 1.0 kg each are given an equal charge q and placed a certain distance apart. When the separation between the objects changes, the change in gravitational potential energy is balanced by an opposite charge in electrostatic potential energy. To solve for q, the equations V(r) = +k q1q2/r and V(r) = -G m1m2/r were used and set equal to each other. The value of q is related to r, which is not relevant since both forces are inversely proportional to distance. The final solution is the square root of G/k.
airkapp
Imagine that two identical steel spheres, each having a mass of 1.0 kg, are placed a certain distance apart. They are given an equal charge q such that when the separation between the objects changes, the change in the gravitational potentail energy between the objects is exactly balanced by an opposite charge in the electrostaic potential energy between the objects.
What is q?

I used both formulas; V(r) = +k q1q2/r, and V(r)= -G m1m2/r
I then set the two equal to each other and solved for q.
Should this method yield the correct answer?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone know what my "r" will be in this case?

The best you can get with one equation and two unknowns is a proportionality between the two. Yes that's the way you'd go about solving that problem but q is going to be related to r in some way. Edit I can't believe I didn't see this but r isn't relevant since both forces are inversely proportional to distance. (Not that it makes a difference but I thought your question asked for forces originally).

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe I should of done the simple algebra first...duh..the r's cancel out
thanks
:redface: i ended up w sq.root of G/k

Last edited:
I don't understand your question. You say that "when the separation between the objects changes" (which I interpret as: when the distance between them changes, i.e. becomes larger or smaller) "the change in the gravitational potentail energy between the objects is exactly balanced by an opposite charge in the electrostaic potential energy between the objects." What opposite charge? Where is it comming from? It is clear that changing r will change the potential energy of the system. Are you asking for the value of q that will make the potential energy of the system is 0?

Last edited:

1. What is "Finding q" and why is it important?

"Finding q" refers to the process of determining the value of electric charge (symbolized by the letter q) in a system where gravitational and electrostatic potential energies are in balance. This is important because it allows scientists to understand the behavior of charged particles, which is crucial in fields such as electromagnetism and particle physics.

2. How is gravitational potential energy related to electrostatic potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field, while electrostatic potential energy is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. In a system where these two types of potential energy are in balance, the gravitational potential energy is equal to the electrostatic potential energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electric charge (q) in a system where gravitational and electrostatic potential energies are in balance?

The formula is q = √(GmM/ke), where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two interacting objects, and ke is the Coulomb constant. This formula is derived from setting the gravitational potential energy equal to the electrostatic potential energy and solving for q.

4. How is "Finding q" used in real-world applications?

The concept of "Finding q" is used in various real-world applications, such as in designing electronic circuits, understanding the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators, and studying the properties of atoms and molecules. It is also used in fields like astrophysics to understand the behavior of charged particles in space.

5. Are there any limitations to the concept of "Finding q"?

One limitation of "Finding q" is that it assumes a system where only two charges are present and their masses are much larger than their separation distance. In reality, most systems involve multiple charges and their masses may not be significantly larger than their separation distance, making the calculations more complex. Additionally, this concept only applies to static situations and does not take into account the effects of changing electric and gravitational forces over time.