Potential Energy & Conservative Forces #18

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a skateboard track in the form of a circular arc with a 4.00 m radius and a 55.9 kg skateboarder starting from rest at the top. The question asks for the normal force exerted on the skateboarder at the bottom of the circular arc. Different equations and hints, such as Newton's 2nd law and conservation of energy, are mentioned to help solve the problem. The final equation used is \Delta {PE} + \Delta {KE} = 0, which involves calculating the change in potential energy and kinetic energy to find the velocity and acceleration needed for the final answer.
UCrazyBeautifulU
A skateboard track has the form of a circular arc with a 4.00 m radius, extending to an angle of 90.0° relative to the vertical on either side of the lowest point, as shown in the figure below.

A 55.9 kg skateboarder starts from rest at the top of the circular arc. What is the normal force exerted on the skateboarder at the bottom of the circular arc?

3287 N was not the correct answer.

can anyone give me some pointers on this problem? Sorry I can't post the picture for some reason.

I was figuring it out this way, but it isn't right:
the normal force exerted on the skateboarder at the bottom of the circular arc = 6mg
= 55.9 x 6 x 9.8 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's 2nd law (as well as conservation of energy). What forces act on the skateboarder at the point in question? Hint: The acceleration is centripetal.

Where did you get 6mg from? First, use the fact that the work done by gravity from the top to the bottom equals the change of kinetic energy to obtain the speed at the bottom of the arc. Knowing the speed, you can calculate the centripetal force. You know the weight, so it shouldn't be difficult to calculate the normal force.

how do i figure out the velocity and the acceleration?

I need the velocity for the centripetal force equation & I need the acceleration for the f=ma equation.

thanks so much.

UCrazyBeautifulU said:
how do i figure out the velocity
Conservation of energy, as radou described.

and the acceleration?
What's the formula for centripetal acceleration?

Hint: Solve the problem algebraically (using symbols) until the last step.

f_cp = ma_cp = mv^2 / r

okay, I still have the velocity missing in this equation, so what do I do?

Use conservation of energy! How far does the skater fall? What's his decrease in gravitational PE? His increase in KE?

what's the equation i should use?

what's the conservation of energy equation i should use? thanks.

[tex]\Delta {PE} + \Delta {KE} = 0[/tex]

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a type of energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

How is potential energy related to conservative forces?

Potential energy is closely related to conservative forces. Conservative forces are forces that do not dissipate energy, meaning they are able to convert between kinetic and potential energy without any loss. This means that the potential energy associated with a conservative force is solely dependent on the position of an object, and not on how it got to that position.

What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, elastic forces, and electric forces. These forces all have the property of being able to convert between potential and kinetic energy without any loss.

How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy depends on the type of conservative force at play. For example, the potential energy due to gravity is calculated as mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. The potential energy due to elastic forces is calculated as 1/2kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

What is the relationship between potential energy and work?

Potential energy and work are closely related. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In conservative systems, the work done by a conservative force is equal to the change in potential energy. This means that when an object moves from one position to another due to a conservative force, the work done by that force is equal to the difference in potential energy between the two positions.