1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy equilibrium positions

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle has potential energy

U(x) = x + sin ((2 rad/m) x)

over the range of x greater or equal to 0 meters and less than or equal to pi meters
    Where are the equilibrium positions in this range and for each is it a point of stable or unstable equilibrium?

2. Relevant equations
    derv of u(x) set = to 0 and then the second derv of u(x)

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved derv of u(x) = 1 + 2 cos(2x) then set = to 0

so 2 cos(2x) = -1 divide by 2 and cos(2x) = -1/2
    2x = arch cos of (-1/2) = 2pi/3 rad

x = 1 pi/3 rad

I get this part but the answer says that x can = 2pi/3 rad as well and I do not understand why.

To determine if equilibrium is unstable or stable I took the second derv and at x = pi/3 and second derv of - 4 sin(2x) I got less than 0 so a maximum and therefore unstable equilibrium

Can someone please help me understand why I should have known to consider 2pi /3??? Thanks for your efforts, Frostking

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

There are an infinite number of solutions to [itex]\cos(2x) = -1/2[/itex]. You just found one - there's another solution which will give you [itex]2\pi/3[/itex] as the final answer.

4. Jun 6, 2009 #3
    Thanks, yes I should have realized I needed to check for other values less than or equal to pi!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook