Potential energy equilibrium positions

In summary, the potential energy of a particle is given by U(x) = x + sin((2 rad/m)x) over the range of x greater than or equal to 0 meters and less than or equal to pi meters. The equilibrium positions in this range are at x = pi/3 and x = 2pi/3, and at both points the equilibrium is unstable as shown by the second derivative of U(x) being negative.
frostking

Homework Statement

A particle has potential energy

U(x) = x + sin ((2 rad/m) x)

over the range of x greater or equal to 0 meters and less than or equal to pi meters
Where are the equilibrium positions in this range and for each is it a point of stable or unstable equilibrium?

Homework Equations

derv of u(x) set = to 0 and then the second derv of u(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved derv of u(x) = 1 + 2 cos(2x) then set = to 0

so 2 cos(2x) = -1 divide by 2 and cos(2x) = -1/2
2x = arch cos of (-1/2) = 2pi/3 rad

x = 1 pi/3 rad

I get this part but the answer says that x can = 2pi/3 rad as well and I do not understand why.

To determine if equilibrium is unstable or stable I took the second derv and at x = pi/3 and second derv of - 4 sin(2x) I got less than 0 so a maximum and therefore unstable equilibrium

Can someone please help me understand why I should have known to consider 2pi /3? Thanks for your efforts, Frostking

Physics news on Phys.org
There are an infinite number of solutions to [itex]\cos(2x) = -1/2[/itex]. You just found one - there's another solution which will give you [itex]2\pi/3[/itex] as the final answer.

Thanks, yes I should have realized I needed to check for other values less than or equal to pi!

1. What is potential energy equilibrium position?

Potential energy equilibrium position is a point where the potential energy of a system is at a minimum or maximum value, meaning that the forces acting on the system are balanced and there is no net movement.

2. How is potential energy equilibrium position related to potential energy?

Potential energy equilibrium position is directly related to potential energy as it is the point where the potential energy of a system is at its minimum or maximum value. At this point, the potential energy is equal to the minimum or maximum potential energy of the system.

3. What factors affect potential energy equilibrium position?

The factors that affect potential energy equilibrium position include the mass of the objects in the system, the distance between them, and the type of potential energy involved, such as gravitational, elastic, or electrical potential energy.

4. How can potential energy equilibrium position be calculated?

Potential energy equilibrium position can be calculated by finding the point where the forces acting on the system are balanced, which is when the net force is equal to zero. This can be done by using equations such as Newton's Second Law or conservation of energy.

5. Why is understanding potential energy equilibrium positions important?

Understanding potential energy equilibrium positions is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It helps in predicting the behavior and stability of systems and in designing structures and devices that can maintain a desired equilibrium position.