Potential Energy of a system of Point Charges

In summary, the conversation discusses using equations for electric potential energy to solve for the x coordinate of a third charge placed on the x-axis in a three-charge system, with one charge at the origin and the other at x = 5 cm. The final solution is x=\frac{15}{2}+-\frac{5\sqrt{5}}{2} cm.
Tybstar

Homework Statement

Two identical charges q are placed on the x axis, one at the origin and the other at x = 5 cm. A third charge -q is placed on the x-axis so the potential energy of the three-charge system is the same as the potential energy at infinite separation. Its x coordinate is: (x=13)

Homework Equations

I know the correct answer to this one because I'm looking over a marked up test in preparation for the final.

I've been using the equations for the electric potential energy of a system of point charges:

[tex]U=W=k\frac{q_{1}q_{2}}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

...and expanding that to the work of the entire system:

[tex]W=0=W_{12}+W_{23}+W_{13}[/tex]

so,[tex]W=0=k\frac{q_{1}q_{2}}{5}+k\frac{q_{2}q_{3}}{d}+k\frac{q_{1}q_{3}}{5+d}[/tex]

Since [tex]q_{3}[/tex] is negative, simplify:

[tex]W=0=k\frac{q^{2}}{5}-k\frac{q^{2}}{d}-k\frac{q^{2}}{5+d}[/tex]I might be missing something simple in algebra, but I can't figure out how to simplify this down enough to solve for [tex]d[/tex].

Any ideas? Am I even on the right track here?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]kq^2[/tex] can be eliminated (as the right hand side is equal to zero), and this leaves you with:

[tex]\frac{1}{5} -\frac{1}{d} -\frac{1}{5+d}=0[/tex]. Take the negative terms to one side and cross multiply to get a quadratic equation in d. Solve quadratic for d. There are two possible solutions as this is a quadratic.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried doing a quadratic, but was unable to get the correct answer. Also, I think that the correct term should be [tex]\frac{1}{(d-5)}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{1}{5+d}[/tex].

Yes. You're right. I didnt look at the whole post. The solution, however, is [tex]x=\frac{15}{2}+-\frac{5\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

1. What is potential energy in a system of point charges?

Potential energy in a system of point charges is the energy that a collection of charges possess due to their relative positions. It is a measure of the work that would be required to bring the charges together or separate them.

2. How is potential energy of a system of point charges calculated?

The potential energy of a system of point charges can be calculated using the formula U = kQ1Q2/r, where U is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the two point charges, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the relationship between potential energy and distance in a system of point charges?

The potential energy in a system of point charges is inversely proportional to the distance between the charges. As the distance increases, the potential energy decreases and vice versa.

4. Can potential energy of a system of point charges be negative?

Yes, the potential energy of a system of point charges can be negative. This occurs when the two charges have opposite signs and attract each other, resulting in a negative value for potential energy.

5. How does the number of point charges in a system affect the potential energy?

The potential energy of a system of point charges is directly proportional to the number of point charges in the system. This means that as the number of charges increases, the potential energy also increases.