1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy of a system of Point Charges

1. Aug 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two identical charges q are placed on the x axis, one at the origin and the other at x = 5 cm. A third charge -q is placed on the x axis so the potential energy of the three-charge system is the same as the potential energy at infinite separation. Its x coordinate is: (x=13)

2. Relevant equations

I know the correct answer to this one because I'm looking over a marked up test in preparation for the final.

I've been using the equations for the electric potential energy of a system of point charges:

3. The attempt at a solution

...and expanding that to the work of the entire system:

Since [tex]q_{3}[/tex] is negative, simplify:

I might be missing something simple in algebra, but I can't figure out how to simplify this down enough to solve for [tex]d[/tex].

Any ideas? Am I even on the right track here?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2007 #2
    [tex]kq^2[/tex] can be eliminated (as the right hand side is equal to zero), and this leaves you with:

[tex]\frac{1}{5} -\frac{1}{d} -\frac{1}{5+d}=0[/tex]. Take the negative terms to one side and cross multiply to get a quadratic equation in d. Solve quadratic for d. There are two possible solutions as this is a quadratic.
  4. Aug 6, 2007 #3
    I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried doing a quadratic, but was unable to get the correct answer. Also, I think that the correct term should be [tex]\frac{1}{(d-5)}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{1}{5+d}[/tex].
  5. Aug 7, 2007 #4
    Yes. You're right. I didnt look at the whole post. The solution, however, is [tex]x=\frac{15}{2}+-\frac{5\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?