Potential Gravitational Energy into Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between potential and potential energy, specifically in regards to gravitational and electric forces. The derivative of the potential energy function can be used to derive the force, making the force proportional to the gradient of the potential. The difference between potential and potential energy is also explained, with potential being the work per unit mass and potential energy being the total work needed to move an object to a certain point. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding energy in physics and suggests looking into hydro power calculations for practical understanding.
AlexVGheo
How do you derive the equation for gravitational force from the eqauation for potential gravitational energy: e=-Gm/x? For me it seems as though you take the derivative and that would work, but i don't understand why it does?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;

Gravity is a conservative force - which is why the force is the gradient of a potential.
Its a definition.

Likes 1 person
Aha, is that also true for electric potential then?

AlexVGheo said:

For static cases, yes.

It is true for any conservative force. If you accept the rather intuitive definition that a conservative force is one whose associated work function is path independent, then you can construct a well defined potential energy function for a conservative force using the work-energy theorem: ##W = -\Delta U = U(a) - U(x) = \int _{a}^{x}F(x')dx'##. Now differentiate both sides and apply the fundamental theorem of calculus to obtain ##F(x) = -\frac{\mathrm{d} U}{\mathrm{d} x}##. This can be trivially generalized to higher dimensions.

As such, you can always define an electric potential energy for electrostatic forces (it won't work for electrodynamic systems because the path independence will fail). There is, however, a way to get around this that you will learn about at some point or another in your physics education.

Likes 1 person
AlexVGheo said:

... and you have your answer for the most likely interpretation :)
But your question is not really clear: is what also true? - are you asking if the static electric force on a charge is proportional to the gradient of the electric potential, if this is a definition for electric potential, or something else? There are quite a few ways that question finishes from the context.

I didn't pick it up before but post #1 says "potential energy" but the equation given is for potential - these are different, though related, concepts.

A lot of confusion can stem from just not being careful enough to say what you mean - it risks accidentally conflating mismatched ideas.

Ok, so what is the difference between potential and potential energy? and what is the difference between pe =mgh and pe=-GMm/r?

also, potential energy is a form of energy. potential is not, but is often related. for example, gravitational potential is like an energy per mass. and analogously, in electromagnetism, the electric potential is like an energy per charge.

Thank you for the ilink, it was somewhat enlightening I think I understand the relationship between the forces and potential energy a bit better now =) but i still don't understand the difference beween potential and potential energy? For example if I lift up an object of mass m to a hight h then the potential energy is E = mgh so what is the potential?
And I don't understand the approximation, isn't it the job of a formula to be representative of the true value?
Also i am finding this all very interesting, unfortunately I am used to dealing in forces and so I don't know much about energy, is there a book you know of which can explain how to use energy instead of force?

if I lift up an object of mass m to a hight h then the potential energy is E = mgh so what is the potential?
The potential energy is the work needed to get a mass to that height ... thus W=Fd=mgh.
The potential is the work per unit mass, so that would be W/m = gh

The strength of the gravitational field at a position is the acceleration due to gravity at that position - which is the negative gradient of the potential ... which is just -g.
The force is the negative gradient of the potential energy ... F=-mg.
... and this is equal to the rate of change of momentum.

It can take a while to get used to dealing with energy ... pretty much any physics textbook should have something on it under "conservation of energy".

Alex for some practical understanding of potential energy look up calculations of Hydro Power.

What is potential gravitational energy?

Potential gravitational energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field.

How is potential gravitational energy converted into force?

Potential gravitational energy can be converted into force when an object moves from a higher position to a lower position in a gravitational field. This force is known as gravitational force and is responsible for objects falling towards the Earth.

What factors affect the amount of potential gravitational energy an object has?

The amount of potential gravitational energy an object has depends on its mass, the strength of the gravitational field, and its position in the field. The higher an object is in the field, the greater its potential gravitational energy will be.

Can potential gravitational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential gravitational energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as kinetic energy. When an object falls, its potential gravitational energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases.

How is potential gravitational energy measured?

Potential gravitational energy is measured in joules (J). It can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object (in kilograms) by the acceleration due to gravity (in meters per second squared) and the height of the object in the gravitational field (in meters).