Potential of Spherical Charges: Find A & B for Surface r<a

• Thread starter kreil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the problem involves finding the potential in the region r>a for a spherical surface with electric charges distributed to produce a potential of \Phi(\vec r)=A(x^2-y^2)+Bx in the region r<a. The solution involves using the general potential expression in terms of spherical harmonics and utilizing boundary conditions to solve for the coefficients A and B. The coefficients can be found by expanding the expression for r<a and matching it with combinations of spherical harmonics. The boundary conditions involve continuity of potential at the surface of the sphere and the behavior of potential at infinity. The solution also involves using the expressions for x, y, and z in terms of spherical coordinates and the trigonometric identities for sine and cosine.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Electric charges are distributed on a spherical surface of radius a so as to produce the potential

[tex] \Phi(\vec r)=A(x^2-y^2)+Bx[/tex]

in the region r<a. Find the potential in the region r>a (hint: use the table of spherical harmonics).

Homework Equations

I am unsure, but I think I should start with the following general potential expression (solution to laplace's eqn in terms of the spherical harmonics Y).

[tex] \Phi(r, \theta, \phi)= \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=-l}^l \left[ A_{lm}r^l+B_{lm}r^{-(l+1)} \right] Y_l^m(\theta, \phi)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am to use the above potential eqn, I need to utilize boundary conditions to find the coefficients A and B, but the surface potential is not specified so I'm not sure where to start...can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
First write out the coefficients in that expansion for r<a. This can be done easily by expanding out the x and y in their angular components and finding combinations of spherical harmonics that match them.

Once you have that, you will need BC's. You know at the surface of the sphere the potential is continuous. You also know how the potential behaves at infinity. This should be enough information to solve for that expansion in the region r>a.

Last edited:
i'm having trouble finding the combination of spherical harmonics which describes:

[tex]\Phi(\vec r)=A(x^2-y^2)+Bx=Ar^2(cos^2 \theta -sin^2 \theta )+Brcos \theta=Ar^2cos 2 \theta + Brcos \theta[/tex]

any hints/advice?

This isn't 2 dimensions. So there should be a [tex]\phi[/tex] term in there. Remember:

[tex]x = r cos(\phi)sin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]y = r sin(\phi)sin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]z = r cos(\theta)[/tex]

Also this might be useful:

[tex] sin(\phi) = \frac{e^{i\phi}-e^{-i\phi}}{2i}[/tex]
[tex]cos(\phi) = \frac{e^{i\phi}+e^{-i\phi}}{2}[/tex]

First, let's start by defining some variables for clarity:
- r = distance from the center of the spherical surface
- a = radius of the spherical surface
- A and B = coefficients in the potential expression given
- x and y = coordinates on the surface of the sphere

To solve for the potential in the region r>a, we can use the general potential expression you provided, but we need to first determine the values of A and B. To do this, we can use the given potential expression at the surface of the sphere (r=a) and equate it to the general potential expression at r=a:

A(a^2-y^2)+Bx = \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=-l}^l \left[ A_{lm}a^l+B_{lm}a^{-(l+1)} \right] Y_l^m(\theta, \phi)

Since the potential is only dependent on x and y, we can set y=0 and solve for A and B:

A(a^2)+Bx = \sum_{l=0}^{\infty} \sum_{m=-l}^l \left[ A_{lm}a^l+B_{lm}a^{-(l+1)} \right] Y_l^m(\theta, \phi)

Now, we can use the table of spherical harmonics to find the values of A and B for each value of l and m. Once we have these values, we can plug them back into the general potential expression and solve for the potential in the region r>a.

Hope this helps!

Related to Potential of Spherical Charges: Find A & B for Surface r<a

1. What is the potential of a spherical charge?

The potential of a spherical charge is the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to a point on the surface of the sphere.

2. How do you calculate the potential of a spherical charge?

The potential of a spherical charge can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, and Q is the charge. In this case, r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point on the surface.

3. What is the value of A in the equation V = AQ/r for a spherical charge?

A is a constant that represents the potential at the surface of the sphere. It can be calculated by setting r equal to the radius of the sphere and solving for A, giving the equation A = kQ/R.

4. How do you find the value of B in the equation V = B/r for a spherical charge?

B is a constant that represents the potential at infinity. It can be calculated by setting r equal to infinity and solving for B, giving the equation B = 0. This means that as the distance from the center of the sphere increases, the potential approaches 0.

5. Can the potential of a spherical charge be negative?

Yes, the potential of a spherical charge can be negative. This occurs when the charge is negative and the point on the surface is closer to the center of the sphere than infinity. This means that work would need to be done to move a positive charge from infinity to the surface of the sphere, resulting in a negative potential value.