Calculating Maximum Kinetic Energy from Potential Energy

In summary, an object moving along a straight line from rest reaches a maximum kinetic energy of 4 J at a distance of 0.7 meters. The potential energy at 0 meters is 4 J and at 0.7 meters it is -2 J. The change in kinetic energy is equal to the negative change in potential energy. The particle is in stable equilibrium at 0.7 and 1.9 meters, and unstable equilibrium at 1.5 meters. The particle begins at point A.
amcavoy
Basically, an object moves along a straight line (starting at rest) and reaches a maximum kinetic energy at .7 m. At 0 meters, the potential energy is 4 J and at .7 meters, the potential energy is -2 J. What is the maximum kinetic energy?

I know that the answer is 4 J. However, it would seem to me that the change in kinetic energy is equal to the negative potential energy.

[tex]\Delta K=K_f-K_i=K_f[/tex]

[tex]-U=\Delta K=2[/tex]

This seems that the kinetic energy is 2. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming mechanical energy is conserved, the change in KE equals the negative change in PE.

(What makes you think that the answer is 4 J?)

Doc Al said:
Assuming mechanical energy is conserved, the change in KE equals the negative change in PE.
(What makes you think that the answer is 4 J?)
It is a web-assign type of thing and it took 4 J as the correct answer. The graph is attached if you want to take a look.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 171-8-4.gif
    171-8-4.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 557
Also, on the same graph, it asks for stable and unstable eq. points. The answer is that stable eqs. occur at x=.7 and x=1.9 while unstable eqs. occur at x=1.5. I know what a stable / unstable equilibrium is for a differential equation, but how does that apply here?

Thanks again.

apmcavoy said:
It is a web-assign type of thing and it took 4 J as the correct answer. The graph is attached if you want to take a look.
Looking at the graph, I don't see how "At 0 meters, the potential energy is 4 J ...". Looks to me like the graph doesn't even show the potential at 0 meters.

apmcavoy said:
I know what a stable / unstable equilibrium is for a differential equation, but how does that apply here?
In mechanics, a particle is in equilibrium if the force is zero. (That will be when the slope of the potential curve is zero.) If you nudge the particle from its equilibrium position, and the force tends to return it to equilibrium, then that point is one of stable equilibrium. On the other hand, if the force tends to send the particle away from the equilibrium position, it's unstable. (Think of a marble sitting in a valley versus being balanced at the top of a hill. Which position do you think is stable? Unstable?)

I see now. For some reason I was just assuming the particle began at 0. I guess the problem requires the assumption that the particle begins at point A (at least, that's what seems to make sense).

Also, thanks for the clarification on equilibrium. That makes more sense now.

Thanks again!

1. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or composition, while kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How are potential and kinetic energy related?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, when an object is dropped, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it falls.

3. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and a book placed on a shelf.

4. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a rolling ball, and a swinging pendulum.

5. How does the amount of potential and kinetic energy change in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total amount of potential and kinetic energy remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.