Power 4 equation to Quadratic factors

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of splitting x^4 + 1 into real quadratic factors. It is suggested to factor the left side and solve the resulting system of equations. However, the speaker also mentions that not all functions may have real quadratic factors and suggests using complex roots to factor in those cases.
basil
Hi,

I have a problem with splitting x4 + 1 into real quadratic factors. How can this be done?

Cheers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi basil! :smile:

Say we split it as

[tex]x^4+1=(x^2+ax+b)(x^2+cx+d)[/tex]

Try to factor the left side. You'll obtain a system of equations that you need to solve...

basil said:
Hi,

I have a problem with splitting x4 + 1 into real quadratic factors. How can this be done?

Cheers.

What do you mean by this? Do you want to factor it into:

x4 + 1 = (x2 + ax + b)(x2 + cx + d) where a,b,c,d are real?

If this is the case, some functions might not have real "quadratic factors". The only way to know for sure is to look at the complex roots of

x4 + 1 = 0

and multiply. For instance, the only roots of this are the four roots of unity:

r = [tex]e^{\frac{i \pi}{4}} , e^{\frac{i 3 \pi}{4}} , e^{\frac{i 5 \pi}{4}} , e^{\frac{i 7 \pi}{4}}[/tex]

So we can factor into:

x4 + 1 = [tex](x - e^{\frac{i \pi}{4}})(x - e^{\frac{i 3 \pi}{4}})(x - e^{\frac{i 5 \pi}{4}})(x - e^{\frac{i 7 \pi}{4}})[/tex]

Now multiply any two arbitary factors together and if you get all real numbers in the quadratic, you have a winner.

--------------

Side note: If you haven't learned about complex numbers yet, I can't think of a better way of doing it than this.

micromass said:
Hi basil! :smile:

Say we split it as

[tex]x^4+1=(x^2+ax+b)(x^2+cx+d)[/tex]

Try to factor the left side. You'll obtain a system of equations that you need to solve...

This might be take less time for this problem. I'd race you but I have no paper. :frown:

gb7nash said:
If this is the case, some functions might not have real "quadratic factors".

All real polynomials can be split into real quadratic and linear factors! :smile:

Just for reference, and function with a power of 4 is a quartic.:wink:

1. What is a "Power 4 equation"?

A "Power 4 equation" is a polynomial equation with the highest power being 4. This means that the equation will have terms with variables raised to the power of 4, 3, 2, 1, or 0.

2. What are quadratic factors?

Quadratic factors are expressions that can be factored into two linear expressions. In other words, they are equations in the form of (ax^2 + bx + c) where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

3. Why is it important to convert a Power 4 equation to Quadratic factors?

Converting a Power 4 equation to Quadratic factors allows us to solve the equation using methods such as the quadratic formula or factoring. This makes it easier to find the solutions to the equation and understand its behavior.

4. How do you convert a Power 4 equation to Quadratic factors?

To convert a Power 4 equation to Quadratic factors, you need to factor out the common term in each term of the equation. Then, you can use the quadratic formula or factoring to solve for the solutions of the equation.

5. What is the purpose of using Quadratic factors in Power 4 equations?

Using Quadratic factors in Power 4 equations allows us to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the equation and make predictions about its solutions.