Power and Circuit Theory Textbooks for BS Physics and MS Electrical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to learn about the fundamentals of power and circuit theory, with a focus on maintaining a continuum between the two. The speaker has a background in physics and electrical engineering and is looking for textbook recommendations on the subjects. Suggestions are made for books that delve into the physics basis of electrical circuits and the real part sufficiency equations. One person recommends "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill as a comprehensive reference book. More details about the specific aspects of power and circuit theory the speaker is interested in would aid in making further suggestions.
NotoriousNick
I'd like to learn about how the fundamentals of how power works and how circuit theory works, while actually keeping a continuum between the fundamentals. In otherwords, I have a BS in physics, and am MSEE, picked up a book on circuit theory, and it was filled with rules with no physics-backed explanations. I understand some concepts are built on a higher level, and it's sometimes futile to dive into the physical explanations entirely.

Any great textbooks to read and keep on the shelf for

Power
Circuit Theory
?

BS Physics
MS Electrical Engineering

I am just looking for the names of some texts to pick up to flip through, and that are worthy to keep around. I learned out of the book all through college and grad school anyway.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want a book that really goes into the physics basis of electrical circuits, then look for a book by Bode written about 1943.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=11&tag=pfamazon01-20
(Network Analysis and Feedback Amplifier Design)
It derives the real part sufficiency equations directly from the dispersion relations (Kramers-Kronig relations) you learned about in physics books.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kramers–Kronig_relation
It is treated in Vol. 2 of Morse and Feshbach. Jackson discusses it, but not specifically for electric circuits. Real part sufficiency means that if you know the real part of a passive circuit impedance at all frequencies, the imaginary part is completely determined at all frequencies (it is causally related).
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorate is:

THE ART OF ELECTRONICS

Paul Horowitz
Winfield Hill

Cambridge university press 0 521 29837 7

It's an excellect reference book, that i continuously refer too, it's always within reach of me.

Great book IMO...

NotoriousNick said:
I'd like to learn about how the fundamentals of how power works and how circuit theory works, while actually keeping a continuum between the fundamentals. In otherwords, I have a BS in physics, and am MSEE, picked up a book on circuit theory, and it was filled with rules with no physics-backed explanations. I understand some concepts are built on a higher level, and it's sometimes futile to dive into the physical explanations entirely.

Any great textbooks to read and keep on the shelf for

Power
Circuit Theory
?

BS Physics
MS Electrical Engineering

I am just looking for the names of some texts to pick up to flip through, and that are worthy to keep around. I learned out of the book all through college and grad school anyway.

What aspects of power? Do you mean like AC Mains power, transmission, conversion and use? Or do you mean power electronics like in power supplies, motor drives, display drivers, etc?

What aspects of Circuit Theory? Analog, digital, IC design, opamps, DSP, A/D D/A Signal Processing, RF, what? (or all?)

Some more details of what you are looking for would help us offer suggestions.

Related to Power and Circuit Theory Textbooks for BS Physics and MS Electrical Engineering

1. What is the difference between a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering?

A BS in Physics focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics, while an MS in Electrical Engineering delves deeper into the specialized field of electrical engineering. The BS program typically covers a broad range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. The MS program, on the other hand, focuses on the application of these principles to design and analyze electrical systems and devices.

2. Do I need a strong background in math to understand power and circuit theory textbooks?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for understanding power and circuit theory textbooks. Many concepts in these textbooks involve advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Without a solid understanding of these mathematical principles, it may be challenging to grasp the concepts presented in the textbooks.

3. Are there any recommended textbooks for studying power and circuit theory?

Yes, there are many recommended textbooks for studying power and circuit theory. Some popular choices include "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N. O. Sadiku, "Electric Circuits" by James W. Nilsson and Susan A. Riedel, and "Introduction to Electric Circuits" by Herbert W. Jackson and Dale R. Patrick. It is best to consult with your professors or academic advisors to determine the most suitable textbook for your specific course or program.

4. Can I use a power and circuit theory textbook for self-study?

Yes, you can use a power and circuit theory textbook for self-study. However, it is essential to have a strong understanding of the foundational principles of physics and mathematics before attempting to study these complex topics on your own. Additionally, it may be helpful to supplement your self-study with online resources, practice problems, and discussions with peers or professors.

5. What career opportunities are available for individuals with a background in power and circuit theory?

Individuals with a background in power and circuit theory can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including energy, telecommunications, electronics, and manufacturing. They may work as electrical engineers, power systems engineers, circuit designers, or research scientists. Graduates with a BS in Physics or an MS in Electrical Engineering may also pursue further education, such as a PhD, to pursue careers in academia or research.