Power of Auto Engine at 280 Nm, 3800 rpm - Convert to W & HP

In summary, the significance of an auto engine's power at 280 Nm and 3800 rpm represents its maximum torque and rotational speed, indicating its overall performance. Torque is typically measured using a dynamometer, while the formula for converting torque to power in watts is Power (W) = (Torque (Nm) x Speed (rpm)) / 9.5488. Yes, the engine's power can be converted from watts to horsepower using the formula: Horsepower (hp) = Power (W) / 746. When comparing the power of an engine to others, it is best to consider factors such as size, design, and intended use within the same class or category.
alfmaniac
Okay, I am going crazy over this one! An automobile engine develops a torque of 280 Nm at 3800 rpm. What is the power in watts and in horsepower?

I have converted the 3800 rpm to 63.3 rev/sec and I know that power is equal to work over time but I am not sure how to figure out work and there is no specific time given. Any hints or tips?? Please! :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: Work in a rotating system is torque times angle turned.

Sure, I can help you with this problem! First, let's start by understanding what torque and power are. Torque is a measure of the rotational force or twisting force produced by an engine, while power is the rate at which work is done. In this case, we are given the torque of 280 Nm at 3800 rpm. To convert this to power, we need to use the formula: Power = (Torque x Speed)/ 9.55, where torque is in Nm and speed is in revolutions per minute (rpm).

So, let's plug in the values: Power = (280 Nm x 3800 rpm)/9.55 = 111200 W. This is the power in watts. To convert it to horsepower, we simply divide by 746 (since 1 horsepower = 746 watts). So, the power in horsepower would be 111200 W/ 746 = 149.06 hp.

I hope this helps! Just remember to use the correct units and formula, and you should be able to solve any similar problem in the future. Happy calculating!

1. What is the significance of an auto engine's power at 280 Nm and 3800 rpm?

This measurement represents the maximum torque (force) and rotational speed that the engine can produce, indicating its overall power and performance capabilities.

2. How is torque measured in an auto engine?

Torque is typically measured using a dynamometer, which applies a load to the engine to determine its maximum output at different speeds.

3. What is the formula for converting torque to power in watts?

The formula for calculating power (in watts) from torque (in Nm) and rotational speed (in rpm) is:
Power (W) = (Torque (Nm) x Speed (rpm)) / 9.5488

4. Can you convert the engine's power from watts to horsepower?

Yes, power can be converted from watts to horsepower using the formula:
Horsepower (hp) = Power (W) / 746

5. How does the power of this engine compare to others?

The power of an engine is influenced by many factors, such as its size, design, and intended use. It is best to compare the power of engines within the same class or category to get a more accurate comparison.