Power Delivered From Black Body

In summary: I was just trying to provide a more complete answer. You are correct in that you need to multiply by area and wavelength interval to get the power, but that is not what was given in the question.
ThatGuyYeah

Homework Statement

The power delivered in narrow spectrum range near 10 µm from black body source with temperature 1000 K is 10 µW.

Not Solved
a) What power would be delivered in narrow spectrum range near 1 µm?

Solved
b) At what wavelength the power delivered takes its maximum?
c) Find this maximum value.

Homework Equations

For b and c, you are using:

λpeak = 2.898 x 10-3/T

That aspect of this problem is easy and was solvable.

For a, I would assume that one would use:

P = σAT4

Problem is that the question doesn't give surface area at all, only λ. Plugging what was given doesn't produce the relationship at all (even squaring the given λ = 10 µm only produces 5.6 µW). I don't know if it is a bad question or missing something obvious.

I also tried E = σT4 and got 5.7 W/cm2. I would assume that I would have to calculate per 1 µm?

The other alternative solution I tried was using Radiant flux density (Planck’s law):

W = 2hc25 x 1/(e(hc/λkT)-1) and the numbers still seem off.

The Attempt at a Solution

From above.

Also, based on the information above and solving part b and c that moving closer to the black body (2.898 µm) will produce the highest power and would dip off after as we approach 1 µm, but it feels like there is something missing in part a.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ThatGuyYeah said:
For a, I would assume that one would use:

P = σAT4

Problem is that the question doesn't give surface area at all, only λ. Plugging what was given doesn't produce the relationship at all (even squaring the given λ = 10 µm only produces 5.6 µW). I don't know if it is a bad question or missing something obvious.
You don't know the size of the black body, and therefore can't say anything about the total power emitted. I don't understand what "squaring the given λ = 10 µm" means. Do you know what λ is?

ThatGuyYeah said:
The other alternative solution I tried was using Radiant flux density (Planck’s law):

W = 2hc25 x 1/(e(hc/λkT)-1) and the numbers still seem off.
Again, if you don't know how big the black body is, you can't get an absolute number. But this equation is a good starting place. You need to figure out how to use it correctly for your problem.
ThatGuyYeah said:
Also, based on the information above and solving part b and c that moving closer to the black body (2.898 µm) will produce the highest power and would dip off after as we approach 1 µm, but it feels like there is something missing in part a.
Moving closer? I guess you're indeed confused about what λ is.

For this question, yes, I am confused about the purpose of λ.

For all intents and purposes (and to prevent you from continuing the assumption I am a total idiot) I know that λ is wavelength, which is the distance between successive crests (high points) of any type of wave (ala period). Problem is that part a is extremely arbitrary.

When I meant by 'moving closer' I was referring to the Power Density/Wavelength chart (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/radfrac.html) where if you are starting at 10 µm and approach the λpeak of 2.898 µm, you hit the maximum Power Density. But if you move away from the peak number and continue decreasing the value to 1 µm, there is supposed to be a drop off in power density (via the Power Desnity/Wavelength chart). Problem is like you said, I don't know the size of the black body.

Now, with that in mind, I did compute W = 2hc2/λ5 x 1/(e(hc/λkT)-1) at first using the given variables just to see if this was the right approach.

2hc2 = 2 (6.67 x 10-34) (2.99 x 108)2 = 1.19 x 10-16

λ5 = (10 μm)5 = 100000 μm5

Dividing those two will get = 1.19 x 10-21

1/(e(hc/λkT)-1) = e1.99 x 10-25/1.38 x 10-19 = e9.173 x 10-23 ≈ 1 - 1 ≈ 9.173 x 10-23 = 1.09 x 1022

Multiplying the two will get 12.971, but given we were dealing with rounding errors and the sort, I can assume that @ 10 μm & T = 1000 K, P ≈ 10 μW

That formula does not provide a power, in W.
It is spectral density. In order to get power you need to multiply by area and wavelength interval.
So there is no reason to expect to get 10 μW.

But you don't need area, it is the same in both cases. And I suppose you can assume the same wavelength interval (a narrow one).
It's just a matter of ratios.

ThatGuyYeah said:
For all intents and purposes (and to prevent you from continuing the assumption I am a total idiot) I know that λ is wavelength, which is the distance between successive crests (high points) of any type of wave (ala period). Problem is that part a is extremely arbitrary.
To make things clear, I never thought you were an idiot! For one thing, there is a different between idiocy and ignorance. And it's not like I have never been confused before :)

nasu said:
It's just a matter of ratios.
This.

What is "Power Delivered From Black Body"?

"Power Delivered From Black Body" is a scientific concept that refers to the amount of electromagnetic radiation emitted from a black body. A black body is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming radiation and emits it in the form of thermal radiation, which is also known as blackbody radiation.

How is power delivered from a black body calculated?

The power delivered from a black body can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the power emitted per unit area by a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This law is expressed in the formula P = σAT^4, where P is the power, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, A is the surface area of the black body, and T is its absolute temperature.

What factors affect the power delivered from a black body?

The power delivered from a black body is affected by several factors, including its temperature, surface area, and emissivity. The temperature of the black body is the most significant factor, as the power delivered increases with the fourth power of the temperature. The surface area also plays a role, as a larger surface area means more radiation can be emitted. Lastly, the emissivity of the black body, which is a measure of how well it can emit radiation, also affects the power delivered.

What is the significance of understanding power delivered from a black body?

Understanding power delivered from a black body is crucial in various fields, including astronomy, thermodynamics, and materials science. It helps in studying the thermal properties of objects, such as stars and planets, and in designing and optimizing thermal systems, such as heat engines and solar cells.

Is power delivered from a black body always constant?

No, the power delivered from a black body is not always constant. It depends on the temperature and emissivity of the black body, which can change due to external factors. For example, the power delivered from a star may vary as it goes through different stages of its life cycle. Additionally, the emissivity of a material can be altered by applying coatings or changing its surface texture, affecting the power delivered from a black body.