How much current does a 1500W electric appliance draw in a 120V circuit?

In summary: But your input is helpful. In summary, the power rating of the electric appliance is 1500W and when used in a home electric circuit with a voltage of 120V, it would draw a current of 12.5A. However, the actual current drawn may be less than this maximum value.
Jabababa

Homework Statement

The power rating of an electric appliance is 1500 W. How much current does this appliance draw when it is used in a home electric circuit ( V= 120)?

Homework Equations

P= VI

The Attempt at a Solution

P= VI => I= P/V => I= 1500W/120V = 12.5A

Is this correct? This seems way too simple ha ha ha...so I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jabababa said:

Homework Statement

The power rating of an electric appliance is 1500 W. How much current does this appliance draw when it is used in a home electric circuit ( V= 120)?

Homework Equations

P= VI

The Attempt at a Solution

P= VI => I= P/V => I= 1500W/120V = 12.5A

Is this correct? This seems way too simple ha ha ha...so I am not sure.

If this is an early assignment on the topic, you could expect it to be simple. If this is a final assessment assignment you could be forgiven for wondering.

It probably is that simple but ...

The power rating is the maximum power that the device can draw. For example the 500W rated power supply in my PC draws a lot less in practice.

Thanks for your input CWatters, this is one of the question from my assignment so i can only work with what i have.

Yes, your calculation is correct. According to Ohm's Law, the current drawn by an electric appliance is directly proportional to the power rating and inversely proportional to the voltage. Therefore, using the equation P=VI, we can calculate the current drawn by the 1500W appliance in a 120V circuit to be 12.5A. This means that the appliance will draw 12.5 amps of current from the circuit to operate at its rated power of 1500 watts. It is important to note that this is the maximum current drawn by the appliance and may vary depending on the load and efficiency of the appliance.

1. What is electric power?

Electric power is the rate at which electric energy is transferred or consumed, and is measured in watts (W). It is the product of voltage (V) and current (I), or P = VI.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC power?

AC (alternating current) power is characterized by a changing direction of flow, while DC (direct current) power flows in only one direction. AC power is commonly used in homes and businesses, while DC power is commonly used in electronic devices and vehicles.

3. How is power related to energy?

Power is the rate at which energy is consumed or transferred. This means that the more power used, the faster energy is consumed. Energy is typically measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh), while power is measured in watts (W).

4. How does power affect electrical devices?

The power rating of an electrical device determines its energy consumption and the amount of work it can do. Higher power devices typically consume more energy and can perform more work, but also tend to be more expensive.

5. What factors affect power consumption?

The power consumption of an electrical device is affected by its voltage, current, and resistance. Other factors such as the efficiency of the device, the duration of use, and the number of devices connected to a circuit can also impact power consumption.