Help with Mine Engineering Assignment Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses a mine engineering student seeking assistance with two questions regarding required power for pumping water. The formula provided in the lecture notes is P = Q.γ.H / 10 power 6, where Q is flow rate, γ is specific weight of water, and H is total dynamic head. The conversation also includes a discussion on determining the true power required, taking into account pump efficiency. Various methods and examples are provided to help the student understand and solve the problems.
Poco Express
Hi
I am doing a mine engineering degree by correspondence and I have an assignment to do and the lecture notes do not provide any assistance on some of the cals.
I am hoping some of you can help me
I will start with these two questions and see if you can help before posting more:
Q1)
Determine the reqired power to pump 11.36 l/s against a total dynamic head of 112.78m if the pump operates at 70% efficiency
Q2)
What is the required power to pump 4000 litres per minute against a total dynamic head of 120m if the pump operates at 75% efficiency

The formula the notes gives me is
P = Q.γ.H / 10 power 6
But I can't work out what this means

Physics news on Phys.org
Power is distance*force/time, and force from gravity is mass*g with the gravitational acceleration ##g=9.81\frac{m}{s^2}##. You know mass/time and distance, and g is given, so you can determine the true power required to lift that water. If that value is 70% of the input power of the pump, can you determine what 100% are?

Thanks mfb.
I will look at this in the morning. My quick look I am still confused but I am very tired too.
If you could give a working example I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks again

Raising 1L of water (weighing 1kg) by 2m in 3 seconds consumes energy...

Energy = mass * g * h
= 1 * 9.8 * 2
= 19.6 joules

Then Power = energy/time

= 19.6/3
= 6.5 Watts

If the pump is 70% eff then

(Power Out/Power In) * 100 = 70

so

Power In = Power Out * 100/70
= 6.5 * 100/70
= 9.3W

Pumping it against "a total dynamic head" of height h is the same as raising water height h. The expression "total dynamic head" includes any losses in the pipework. In the real world the "total dynamic head" might be made up of several things such as the actual height + pipe losses + losses in valves etc.

Thanks. I went back to my lecturer. Now I am struggling with the rest.

The answer was
P = Q.y.H
P = 11.36 x 9800 x 112.78
P = 12555572
P = 12.56 kW
Efficiency of the pump is 70%
Pump actual = P
E
Pump actual = 12.56
Pump actual = 17.93kW

That is a weird way to work with units (more precise, it is a weird way to work without units), but if you use gravitational acceleration in mm/s^2 and the result in kW (and ignore base SI units elsewhere), you get a factor of 10^6 (1000 both from mm<->m and W<->kW).
Apart from that, it is the same way as CWatters solved his example.

I would do it like this..

Output Power required = 11.36 * 9.8 * 112.78 = 12.56 kW

Power in = 12.56 * 100/70 = 17.94 kW

Thanks again. I'm sure in reality there are calculators to do this stuff. And easier methods to cal it... But I think I will answer how the lecturer wants it... All about the marks at the moment. Lol.
Thanks heaps for your help though.

What is mine engineering?

Mine engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and management of mines. It involves the study of various disciplines such as geology, mineral processing, environmental science, and safety to ensure the safe and efficient extraction of minerals from the earth.

What are the main responsibilities of a mine engineer?

The main responsibilities of a mine engineer include designing and planning the layout of the mine, ensuring the safety of workers and the environment, managing the extraction and processing of minerals, and overseeing the financial and operational aspects of the mine.

What are some common challenges in mine engineering?

Some common challenges in mine engineering include ensuring the safety of workers in hazardous environments, minimizing the impact of mining on the environment, increasing efficiency and productivity, and dealing with unexpected geological conditions.

What skills are required to become a successful mine engineer?

To become a successful mine engineer, one must have a strong background in mathematics, geology, and engineering principles. Additionally, good communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are essential. A thorough understanding of mining regulations and safety protocols is also crucial.

How can I get help with my mine engineering assignments?

You can seek help from your professors or teaching assistants, attend study groups or tutoring sessions, or join online forums and communities where other mine engineering students and professionals can offer guidance and support. Additionally, there are various online resources, such as textbooks and practice problems, that can assist you in completing your assignments.