Calculating Horse Power Output for a Sled on an Inclined Hill

• Thread starter mybrohshi5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the horse's power output is 2.1 horsepower when it accelerates the sled from 5.0 km/h to 19 km/h in 6.0 s.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A sleigh and driver with a total mass of 130 kg are pulled up a hill with a 15 degree incline by a horse

If the overall retarding frictional force is 800 N and the sled moves up the hill with a constant velocity of 5.0 km/h,
what is the power output of the horse? (Express in horsepower, of course.)

Homework Equations

P=W/t
P=F*(v)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first converted the 5 km/h to m/s

5km/h = 1.389 m/s

Not sure what to do now. I know there is a retarding force of 800N and i know the velocity so i want to say i can find the force by the horse to travel at that velocity with that retarding force but I am not sure how. cause then i believe if that force is found i could multiply that by the velocity to get the power in watts then convert to horsepower.

thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
it is a "block on a ramp, with friction" ; sum the force components parallel to the ramp.

or , see how much PE changes each second,
and how much Work is done against friction each second .

I think i am supposed to solve it using PE and Work because that is what my professor just went over.

The thing is i feel like i don't have enough information to find the Power.

I know potential energy is = m(g)(h)

Im just not sure how to apply that to this problem.

and to find the Work done against friction if the distance is not known how do i find this?

Would i use

W = change in kinetic energy

W = 1/2mv_f^2 - 1/2mv_i^2

v_i = 0 so

W = 1/2mv_f^2

Thanks for the help :)

I understand it using the component forces parallel to the incline.

I used: Ff + Fgx - Fh = 0

800 + 130(9.8)sin(15) = Fh

Fh = 1129.7

P = 1129.7(1.389)

P = 1569.2 watts or 2.1 horsepower.

But I would also really like to know how to use PE and W to find it though :) any tips?

Could i get some help with this next part. I thought i did it right but its wrong :(

Suppose that in a spurt of energy, the horse accelerates the sled uniformly from 5.0 km/h to 19 km/h in 6.0 s. What is the horse’s maximum instantaneous power output? Assume the same force of friction.

I found the acceleration

a = 5.278 - 1.389 / 6
a = 0.648

then i found the force of the horse (Fh)

Ff + Fgx - Fh = ma

800 + 130(9.8)sin15 - 130(0.648) = Fh

Fh = 1045.495

then i found the power

P = Fh * V_avg

P = 1045.495 ( 5.278 - 1.389 / 2)

P = 2032.96 W

P = 2.1 hp

that was wrong so i thought maybe since it says the max power output i thought to use just the velocity max so...

P = 1045.495(5.278) = 5518 W

P = 7.4 hp

but that was wrong also :(

Any suggestions? Thank you

1. What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done. It is a measure of how quickly energy is transferred or converted.

2. How is power related to a horse pulling a sled?

In the context of a horse pulling a sled, power refers to the amount of work the horse is able to do in a given amount of time. It is a measure of the horse's strength and speed.

3. What factors affect the power of a horse pulling a sled?

The power of a horse pulling a sled is affected by several factors, including the horse's physical condition, its weight and size, the terrain and weather conditions, the weight of the sled, and the type of harness and equipment used.

4. How is power measured in a horse?

Power in a horse can be measured in several ways, such as through its heart rate, oxygen consumption, and speed and distance covered in a given time period.

5. How can the power of a horse pulling a sled be increased?

The power of a horse pulling a sled can be increased through proper training and conditioning, a balanced diet, and using appropriate equipment and techniques. It is also important to give the horse breaks and rest periods to prevent exhaustion and maintain its health and well-being.