Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power loss due to ionisation of air from magnetic fields

1. Feb 4, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    A current carrying wire creates a magnetic field around it, as shown here: http://courses.ae.utexas.edu/ase463q/design_pages/fall02/wavelet/3_sour8.gif [Broken]

As far as I am aware this usually doesn’t cause a power loss. Even if there is a flux on a nearby conductor there will be no power loss along the wire unless that flux is changing, in which case a emf will be induced on that conductor, meaning there has to be a power loss on the first wire. Correct?

However, if a wire has a current that causes a magnetic field so strong it ionises the air around it, surely this will cause a power loss? as work has been done ionising the atoms.

Also, if a different magnet is put into the magnetic field caused by the wire, it will feel a force on it, and accelerate in the direction of the force, so work is being done here as well.

What I'm basically trying to ask is that if there is a current carrying wire with zero resistance, will it still have loss's due to the fact that it creates a magnetic field?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2013 #2
    It is the Electric Filed (high voltage) that typically ionizes the air, and this does yield some looses in high voltage systems. I have not heard of a magnetic field causing ionization.

In high voltage systems this un-wanted ionization is called corona - and leads to a lot of problems, so the mechanical design of the systems tries to minimize the development of the corona.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook