1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power of set of choice functions

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the power of set of all choice functions for P([itex]N[/itex]) - {0}.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't know how to start with that. Hope you will give some clues.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    Try to look at P(N)=2^n

How many numbers are in N-{0}?

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    There are [itex]\aleph[/itex] (aleph zero) numbers in N-{0}...
    So 2^[itex]\aleph[/itex] equals [itex]\Im[/itex] (continuum)... So it proves, that the power of P(N) equals [itex]\Im[/itex].. However, how to combine it with a choice function?

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4
    Ok so you said P(N) has N amount of number except zero. Now what do you say for this?

f(N)=??

6. Dec 4, 2011 #5
    by "P(N) has N amount of number except zero" are you meaning, that P(N) has [itex]\aleph[/itex] one-element subsets excpet zero?

f(N)? Do you mean one-element subsets by N as argument?

7. Dec 4, 2011 #6
    No i mean that P(N) has an uncountable amount of subsets besides zero.

You have to construct a choice function f and whose range is N-{0}, such that f(N) is an element of N.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  8. Dec 4, 2011 #7
    OK, but.. amount of subset of P(N) is more than natural numbers.. it is continuum, not aleph zero......
    edit::: wrong... I'm a little bit confused.. We need to find a amount of functions f: P(B) -> n, where B is a proper subset of N and n in B...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  9. Dec 4, 2011 #8
    So I think we are able to construct aleph zero these functions.. P(N) contains as subset the set of N so..
    We can build this function like this:
    F: P(N) -> N;
    F(N) = {case 1 - the power of N equals aleph zero: G(N);
    {case 2 - in other case (the power of N is less than aleph zer): max(N)

where G: P(N) -> N.
    G(B) -> n, where P(N) containn B, and b in B. We can build aleph zero g functions, because we use it only if the argument of f functions has aleph zero power, so B als has alpeh zero functions - so the set of values of function G has also alpeh zero elements.

It is correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook