Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lost in Translation! - Power Requirements

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    Hello!

This is my first post but I have been a lurker for a long time!

I am starting my own business in the U.S. and have run into a bit of lost in translation when it comes to the electrical requirements needed. I am importing a water system from Hong Kong that is based on:

Single phase / 240V - 50Hz

They know I am from the U.S, and they asked me to confirm that the following power supply is correct:

Main incoming Single Phase / 230V - 60Hz

Is this a standard power supply that will work with a portable generator? Will I need to have a custom generator built? Let me know if there are any questions and I will try my best to answer them.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Water-Guru

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2
    The US power should be close enough to work OK.

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3

vk6kro

Science Advisor

A portable generator in the US would normally generate 120 volts, not 230 volts.
    Some do provide 240 volt outputs though.

For example see this one:
    http://www.frys.com/product/5234037...vA28cOhXA__.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    27.5 amps at 120 volts.

US houses have 230 volts center tapped supplied. Outlets give the center tap and one side of the input. So, you get 115 volts or so.

There is 230 volts available and you can get special wiring done to provide 230 volts for the water heater.

5. Dec 7, 2011 #4
    The 50 hertz may be a problem is you have a motor in the water system.
    The motor will operate faster on 60 hertz and ? may overheat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook