Lost in Translation - Power Requirements

In summary, the power supply should be close to the correct voltage and frequency for the water system import.
Water-Guru
Hello!

This is my first post but I have been a lurker for a long time!

I am starting my own business in the U.S. and have run into a bit of lost in translation when it comes to the electrical requirements needed. I am importing a water system from Hong Kong that is based on:

Single phase / 240V - 50Hz

They know I am from the U.S, and they asked me to confirm that the following power supply is correct:

Main incoming Single Phase / 230V - 60Hz

Is this a standard power supply that will work with a portable generator? Will I need to have a custom generator built? Let me know if there are any questions and I will try my best to answer them.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Water-Guru

Engineering news on Phys.org
Water-Guru said:
Hello!

This is my first post but I have been a lurker for a long time!

I am starting my own business in the U.S. and have run into a bit of lost in translation when it comes to the electrical requirements needed. I am importing a water system from Hong Kong that is based on:

Single phase / 240V - 50Hz

They know I am from the U.S, and they asked me to confirm that the following power supply is correct:

Main incoming Single Phase / 230V - 60Hz

Is this a standard power supply that will work with a portable generator? Will I need to have a custom generator built? Let me know if there are any questions and I will try my best to answer them.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Water-Guru

The US power should be close enough to work OK.

A portable generator in the US would normally generate 120 volts, not 230 volts.
Some do provide 240 volt outputs though.

For example see this one:
http://www.frys.com/product/5234037...vA28cOhXA__.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
27.5 amps at 120 volts.

US houses have 230 volts center tapped supplied. Outlets give the center tap and one side of the input. So, you get 115 volts or so.

There is 230 volts available and you can get special wiring done to provide 230 volts for the water heater.

The 50 hertz may be a problem is you have a motor in the water system.
The motor will operate faster on 60 hertz and ? may overheat.

1. What is the concept of "Lost in Translation - Power Requirements?"

"Lost in Translation - Power Requirements" refers to the discrepancy between the amount of power that a device or system requires and the amount of power it actually receives. This can lead to inefficiency, malfunction, and failure of the device or system.

2. Why is it important to understand "Lost in Translation - Power Requirements?"

Understanding "Lost in Translation - Power Requirements" is crucial for engineers and designers in order to ensure that their devices or systems function properly. It also helps in identifying potential areas for improvement in terms of energy efficiency.

3. What are some common causes of "Lost in Translation - Power Requirements?"

One common cause is the use of incompatible power sources, such as using a high-voltage power supply for a low-voltage device. Another cause can be the presence of resistance or impedance in the power supply, which can lead to a loss of power during transmission.

4. How can "Lost in Translation - Power Requirements" be addressed?

There are several ways to address this issue, such as using power converters or voltage regulators to ensure that the device or system receives the correct power supply. Additionally, proper design and testing can help identify and address any potential power requirement issues early on.

5. What are the potential consequences of not addressing "Lost in Translation - Power Requirements?"

If "Lost in Translation - Power Requirements" are not addressed, it can lead to inefficient use of energy, reduced performance, and even damage to the device or system. In some cases, it can also pose safety risks, especially in high-power systems.