Proving the Power Series Expansion of 1/(1+x^2)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+x^2} = \frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{1}{x^4} + \frac{1}{x^6} - \frac{1}{x^8} + \cdots## by using power series expansion. Various methods are proposed, including substituting ##x=\frac{1}{y}## and using long division to obtain the desired expansion. It is also noted that the expansion only converges for certain values of x, and a different expansion is needed when ##x^2>1##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+x^2} = \frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{1}{x^4} + \frac{1}{x^6} - \frac{1}{x^8} + \cdots##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the power series expansion of ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+x^2}## about ##x=0## is ##1-x^2 + x^4 - x^6 + \cdots##, but I don't see how this can translate into the expressions as above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute ##x=\frac{1}{y}## and write everything in terms of ##\frac{1}{y}##. At the end, re-substitute ##\frac{1}{y}=x##.

fresh_42 said:
Substitute ##x=\frac{1}{y}## and write everything in terms of ##\frac{1}{y}##. At the end, re-substitute ##\frac{1}{y}=x##.
I don't follow. If I do that then ##\frac{1}{1+1/y^2} = 1-1/y^2 + 1/y^4 - 1/y^6 + \cdots##. I don't see where that gets me. Maybe I am missing what you mean by "write everything in terms of 1/y".

I hope, I didn't make a mistake this time:
$$
\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{y^2}}=\frac{y^2}{1+y^2}=y^2 \cdot (1-y^2+y^4-+ \ldots) = y^2 - y^4 +y^6-+\ldots = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{y^2}}-\frac{1}{\frac{1}{y^4}}+\frac{1}{\frac{1}{y^6}}-+\ldots
$$

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Show that ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+x^2} = \frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{1}{x^4} + \frac{1}{x^6} - \frac{1}{x^8} + \cdots##

Homework Equations

I know that the power series expansion of ##\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+x^2}## about ##x=0## is ##1-x^2 + x^4 - x^6 + \cdots##, but I don't see how this can translate into the expressions as above.
If you use long division to divide 1 by ##x^2 + 1## you'll get the expansion you show just above. Instead, if you divide 1 by ##1 + x^2## you'll get the expansion at the top of this post.

Likes fresh_42
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

That expansion only converges for ##x^2<1##. You need a different expansion when ##x^2>1##.

The way I'd do it is to factor ##x^2## out of the denominator:
$$\frac{1}{1+x^2} = \frac{1}{x^2[(1/x^2)+1]} = \frac{1}{x^2}\left[\frac{1}{1+(1/x^2)}\right]$$
Then expand the term in the square brackets in powers of ##(1/x^2)## the usual way. When ##x^2>1##, you know that ##(1/x^2)<1## so the series will converge.

Likes pasmith
vela said:
That expansion only converges for ##x^2<1##. You need a different expansion when ##x^2>1##.

And the implication of a series in [itex]x^{-2}[/itex] is that you are not looking near [itex]x = 0[/itex].

The way I'd do it is to factor ##x^2## out of the denominator:
$$\frac{1}{1+x^2} = \frac{1}{x^2[(1/x^2)+1]} = \frac{1}{x^2}\left[\frac{1}{1+(1/x^2)}\right]$$
Then expand the term in the square brackets in powers of ##(1/x^2)## the usual way. When ##x^2>1##, you know that ##(1/x^2)<1## so the series will converge.

What is a power series expansion?

A power series expansion is a way to represent a mathematical function as an infinite sum of terms. It is typically used to approximate functions that are difficult to calculate or to represent functions that are not defined for all values.

What is the general form of a power series expansion?

The general form of a power series expansion is: f(x) = a0 + a1(x-x0) + a2(x-x0)2 + a3(x-x0)3 + ... + an(x-x0)n, where a0, a1, a2, ... are constants and x0 is a chosen point around which the series is expanded.

How is a power series expansion different from a Taylor series expansion?

A power series expansion is a specific type of Taylor series expansion, where the point around which the series is expanded is typically 0. In a general Taylor series expansion, the point can be any value x0.

What are some applications of power series expansions?

Power series expansions are commonly used in physics and engineering to approximate and solve differential equations. They are also used in signal processing, control theory, and other areas of mathematics and science.

How accurate is a power series expansion?

The accuracy of a power series expansion depends on the function being approximated and the number of terms included in the series. Generally, the more terms included, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, power series expansions are only accurate within a certain radius of convergence, which is determined by the behavior of the function being approximated.