Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power Series Solutions of Laguerre Differential Equation

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    I was going through http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LaguerreDifferentialEquation.html" [Broken] in Wolfram which gives brief details about finding a power series solution of the Laguerre Differential Equation. I was reading the special case when v = 0.

I read earlier from Differential Equations by Lomen and Mark that a power series (about x=x0) solution of an ODE exists when all polynomial coefficients are analytic at x=x0. The Laguerre equation has coefficients that are not analytic at x=x0=0 and yet this tries to find series solution around x0 = 0.

My questions:

1 Will this power series converge?

2 Should not we be using the Frobenius method to solve this equation?

3 Should not this have two linearly independent solutions?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the power series converges, between -1 and 1. A solution at a regular singular point may require the Frobenius method or it may not. That is, it may have a regular power series or it may not. Yes, there is a second independent solution. It will, if I remember correctly, involve a power series time log(x). In any case, it is not defined at 0 and, since the Laguerre equation typically is derived from a problem on the interval [-1, 1] (often from a circularly symmetric situation), that solution tends to be ignored.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook