Find f(7): Solving Given Equations

• Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date
I don't know if that's the simplest way to proceed, but it's one approach. Also, I would call the a's coefficients, not integers. In summary, the given polynomial is f(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + ... + a_n x^n, where a_0, a_1, a_2, ..., a_n are nonnegative coefficients. If f(1) = 8 and f(35) = 6^6, the task is to find f(7). The answer is 512. There is a finite number of ways to express 6^6 in base 35, so the polynomial can be solved by guessing
icystrike

Homework Statement

Given f(x)=a0x0+a1x1+a2x2...anxn
p.s: anxn is to represent a sub n multiply x^n
f(1)=8 ,
f(35)=e^e
Find f(7)

I don't know what are the theorem that i have to know and how can i proceed

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean:

[tex]f(x)=a_0x^0+a_1x^1+a_2x^2+...+a_nx^n[/tex]

It is actually:

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_ix^i[/tex]

but doesn't matter. The point is:

[tex]8=a_0+a_1+a_2+...+a_n[/tex]

and

[tex]e^e=a_035^0+a_135^1+a_235^2+...+a_n35^n[/tex]

[tex]y=a_07^0+a_17^1+a_27^2+...+a_n7^n[/tex]Can you continue now?

P.S 35 = 7 * 5

Last edited:
Thanks Дьявол!
How do I proceed from here?

[tex]
e^e=a_05^07^0+a_15^17^1+a_25^27^2+...+a_n5^n7^n
[/tex]

Last edited:
icystrike said:
Given f(x)=a0x0+a1x1+a2x2...anxn

Is your function in fact a finite sum? IOW, is it defined this way (finite sum)?
[tex]f(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + ... + a_n x^n[/tex]
or this way (infinite sum)?
[tex]f(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + ... + a_n x^n + ...[/tex]

The reason I ask is that there is an infinite sum representation for ee.

Mark44 said:
Is your function in fact a finite sum? IOW, is it defined this way (finite sum)?
[tex]f(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + ... + a_n x^n[/tex]
or this way (infinite sum)?
[tex]f(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + ... + a_n x^n + ...[/tex]

The reason I ask is that there is an infinite sum representation for ee.

Thanks! It is the finite series. [tex]f(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + ... + a_n x^n[/tex]

Last edited:
Where did you find this task from?

What equations you should use to solve the task?

What is [itex]a_0+a_1+a_2+...+a_n[/itex], is it geometric or arithmetic series?

Can you provide more information about this task?

Дьявол said:

It is not stated if it is a geometric or arithmetic series.

The question goes like this(without a single omission):

Let f(x)=[itex]a_0+a_1x^1+a_2x^2+...+a_nx^n[/itex] ,where [itex]a_0,a_1,a_2,...,a_n[/itex]
are nonnegative integers. If f(1)=8 and f(35)=[itex]e^e[/itex] , find f(7).

Answer is 512.

Thanks in advance

Дьявол said:

It is not stated if it is a geometric or arithmetic series.

Let f(x)=[itex]a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+...+a_nx^n[/itex] ,where [itex]a_0,a_1,a_2,...,a_n[/itex]

Answer is 512.

Thanks in advance

If the a's are nonnegative integers and x=35, then the value of your polynomial is an integer. e^e is not an integer, if e is the usual constant represented by e=2.7182... What does that e^e mean?

Dick said:
If the a's are nonnegative integers and x=35, then the value of your polynomial is an integer. e^e is not an integer, if e is the usual constant represented by e=2.7182... What does that e^e mean?

Hi Dick! I am not certain but is it a infinite series?

icystrike said:
Hi Dick! I am not certain but is it a infinite series?

Please type in exactly what the problem tells you. Otherwise, we cannot help you much.. As a matter of fact, we cannot guess what you problem might be.. :( If you are not even certain about the problem, how can we suppose to know it? :frown:

[tex] e^x = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} = 1 + x + \frac{x^2}{2!} + \frac{x^3}{3!} + \cdots,[/tex]

is infinite.

Could you possibly provide relevant equations or something?

VietDao29 said:
Please type in exactly what the problem tells you. Otherwise, we cannot help you much.. As a matter of fact, we cannot guess what you problem might be.. :( If you are not even certain about the problem, how can we suppose to know it? :frown:

Let f(x)=[itex]a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+...+a_nx^n[/itex] ,where [itex]a_0,a_1,a_2,...,a_n[/itex]

Answer is 512.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
icystrike said:

Answer is 512.

Thanks in advance

As Dick has pointed out,

Since a0, a1, ..., an are all non-negative integers. it must follow that: f(35) is an integer.

I'm positively sure that you have copied the problem down incorrectly. I may suggest you ask some of your friends to get the correct version of it, then re-post it here; or you can contact your professor. :)

Even if he have the correct value for f(35), I am quite sure that the task can't be solved. I tried various techniques but still no result.

Regards.

Дьявол said:
Even if he have the correct value for f(35), I am quite sure that the task can't be solved. I tried various techniques but still no result.

Regards.

Thanks Guys! I verified with my professor and he said he made a mistake.
f(35) ought to be [tex]6^6[/tex] and not [tex]e^e[/tex]

icystrike said:
Thanks Guys! I verified with my professor and he said he made a mistake.
f(35) ought to be [tex]6^6[/tex] and not [tex]e^e[/tex]

Now we are getting somewhere. Since the a's are nonnegative integers and f(1)=0 you can see n is at most 7 and all a's sum to 8. There's only a finite (but large) number of ways to do that. But you can also notice 35^4>6^6. What does that tell you? After that I'd just start guessing by adding combinations of 35^0, 35^1, 35^2, 35^3 to try and find the a's. In fact, since 8<35 you can actually think of the polynomial as expressing the number 6^6 in base 35. (Base as in decimal, binary, etc).

FAQ: Find f(7): Solving Given Equations

1. What does "find f(7)" mean in this context?

In this context, "find f(7)" means to solve for the value of the function f at the input 7. Essentially, we are trying to find the output of the function when the input is 7.

2. How do I solve for f(7) if the function is not explicitly given?

If the function is not explicitly given, we can still solve for f(7) by using the given equations or information to determine the value of the function at the input 7. This can involve using algebraic manipulation or substitution to find the desired value.

3. Can I use a calculator to find f(7)?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find f(7) as long as you are following the correct steps and using the appropriate functions on your calculator. However, it is important to double check your answer and make sure it aligns with the given equations and information.

4. What if I get a negative number when solving for f(7)?

If you get a negative number when solving for f(7), it simply means that the output of the function at the input 7 is a negative value. There is nothing inherently wrong with this, as functions can have negative outputs depending on their equations and inputs.

5. Can I solve for f(7) if the function has multiple variables?

Yes, you can solve for f(7) even if the function has multiple variables. In this case, you will need to be given additional information or equations to help you solve for the desired value. It may involve rearranging equations or using substitution to find the value of the function at the input 7.

Back