Solving Power Series Problems: Finding 2 Solutions

In summary: That is, in one power series y(x)= 1+ \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_nx^n and in the other y(x)= x+ \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_nx^n. In summary, when solving power series problems for finding two solutions to a second order linear differential equation, it is common to set the initial values of the power series to be a_0=1, a_1=0 and a_0=0, a_1=1 in order to simplify the process of finding independent solutions. This is particularly useful when the equation is even or odd.
joker2014
Hello.

I've been solving power series problems where the question asks to find 2 power series solutions.

I can solve it almost all, I can find the recurrence solution... however while checking the solutions, I see some answer solutions they used c0=1 and c1=0 to find the 2 solutions, and some answer solutions they did not use that.

am I missing something? I don't even understand why they used c0=1 c1=0, and when should i use or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could it have something to do with the function being even or odd?

It's not very clear what question you are asking! I think you are talking about a second order linear differential equation and you should understand that such equations will have two independent solutions such that all solutions can be written as a linear combination of those two.

In particular, given second order linear differential equation p(x)y''+ q(x)y'+ r(x)y= 0. In order to get a specific solution you would have to be give two additional conditions and the simplest would be the two initial value conditions, y(0)= 0, y'(0)= 1 and y(0)= 1, y'(0)= 0.

Of course, if we write the solutions in terms of a power series, [itex]y(x)= a_0+ a_1x+ a_2x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex] then [itex]y'(x)= a_1+ 2a_2x+ 3a_3x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex] so that [itex]y(0)= a_0[/itex] and [itex]y'(0)= a_1[/itex]. So the simplest way to find two independent solutions, as power series, is to require that, in one, [itex]a_0= 1[/itex] and [itex]a_1= 0[/itex] while in the other [itex]a_0= 0[/itex] and [itex]a_1= 1[/itex].

Likes joker2014

1. How do I determine the two solutions of a power series problem?

To find the two solutions of a power series problem, you must first set the power series equal to zero and solve for the variable. This will give you one solution. Then, plug this solution back into the original power series equation and solve for the remaining variable to find the other solution.

2. What is the significance of finding two solutions in a power series problem?

Finding two solutions in a power series problem allows you to determine the roots of the equation, which are the values that make the equation equal to zero. These solutions can help you understand the behavior and characteristics of the equation.

3. Can there be more than two solutions in a power series problem?

Yes, it is possible to have more than two solutions in a power series problem. However, it is most common to have two solutions, as the degree of the power series determines the number of possible solutions.

4. Is there a specific method for finding the two solutions of a power series problem?

Yes, there are various methods for solving power series problems and finding the two solutions. These include substitution, factoring, and using the quadratic formula. It is important to understand and practice these methods to effectively solve power series problems.

5. How can I check if my solutions are correct in a power series problem?

To check if your solutions are correct in a power series problem, you can plug them back into the original equation and see if they make the equation equal to zero. You can also graph the equation and see if the solutions correspond to the x-intercepts on the graph.