Proving Power Set Notation: Let B \subseteq U

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving subsets and complements of sets. The task is to prove that P(BcU) is not equal to (P(B))^cP(U). There is some confusion about the notation used, but it is eventually understood that the subscript U indicates the universal set with respect to which complements are taken. The correct solution involves finding a general common element in P(B) and P(U/B).
sssssssssss
my actual problem is to let B be a subset of the set U and prove

P(B[tex]^{C}_{U}[/tex]) [tex]\neq[/tex] (P(B))[tex]^{C}_{P(U)}[/tex]

but I am confused on the scripts and not quite sure what they are wanting me to do

i have Let B [tex]\subseteq[/tex] U where B = {b} and U = {B}
I know P(B) = {empty set, {b}} and P(U) = {empty set, {B}}

i know superscript c means compliment, but i don't know what the subscript u means. Is it similar to an index?
am i suposed to assume that U means universal. i just don't know the next thought that i need.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not a standard notation, but I assume that the subscript tells you the universal set with respect to which you are supposed to take complements. In other words, they want you to show:

[tex]\mathcal{P}(U \setminus B) \neq \mathcal{P}(U) \setminus \mathcal{P}(B)[/tex]

Alright I figured it out i think.

Let B [tex]\subseteq[/tex] U
Set B = {b} and U = {P(B), u}
P(B) = {empty set, {b}}
P(U) = {empty set, {empty set, {b}}, {u}, {{empty set, {b}}, u}}

Then i figured It was asking for the elements that are in set U that arent in set B

P(B[tex]^{c}_{U}[/tex]) = {empty set, {u}}

And then i figured this was asking for the elements that are in P(U) that arent in P(B)

(P(B))[tex]^{c}_{P(U)}[/tex] = {{empty set, {b}}, {u}, {{empty set, {b}}, u}}

So therefore, {empty set, {u}} [tex]\neq[/tex] {{empty set, {b}}, {u}, {{empty set, {b}}, u}}

correct me if I am wrong por favor.

AKG said:
That's not a standard notation, but I assume that the subscript tells you the universal set with respect to which you are supposed to take complements. In other words, they want you to show:

[tex]\mathcal{P}(U \setminus B) \neq \mathcal{P}(U) \setminus \mathcal{P}(B)[/tex]

i know! its so frustrating because my math teacher uses his own notation which is extremely dificult to decipher cause the book he assigned is different, and the internt has been consistently different!

(i actually got it before I saw you posted but thanks for the reassurance!)

Last edited:
sssssssssss said:
Alright I figured it out i think.

Let B [tex]\subseteq[/tex] U
Set B = {b} and U = {P(B), u}
You can't just set B = {b}. It's like being asked to prove "the square of an even integer is even" and starting your proof by saying, "let's set n = 4." You also can't set U = {P(B), u}. Firstly, for the same reason as before, since you need to prove things in general, and not in some particular case where you set things to be very simple. Secondly, because for U to be the universal set, you need B to be a subset of U, and B is (generally) not a subset of {P(B), u}.

Hint: Find a general common element of P(B) and P(U/B). The exercise is probably what AKG suggests.

1. What is power set notation?

Power set notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the collection of all subsets of a given set. It is denoted by the symbol ℘(A) or 2A, where A is the original set.

2. How do you prove that a set is a subset of another set?

To prove that a set B is a subset of a set U, you must show that every element in B is also an element of U. This can be done by showing that for any given element x in B, x is also in U.

3. What does it mean for a set to be a proper subset?

A proper subset is a subset that does not contain all the elements of the original set. In other words, there is at least one element in the original set that is not in the proper subset.

4. How do you prove the power set of a set is not equal to the set itself?

To prove that the power set of a set A is not equal to A, you can use a proof by contradiction. Assume that the power set of A is equal to A, and then show that this leads to a contradiction. This proves that the power set is not equal to A.

5. Can you give an example of proving power set notation?

Sure. Let's say we have a set A = {1, 2, 3}. To prove that the power set of A is not equal to A, we can show that the element 4 is in the power set of A (since it is a subset of A), but it is not in A itself. Therefore, the power set of A is not equal to A.