Understanding Power Sources: Solving a Circuit Question with V=IR Method

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit problem involving current, voltage, and resistance. The original poster is having trouble solving it mathematically and asks for an explanation. Another user suggests an equation-based solution, but the original poster points out that the book's answer differs from their calculations. They are still seeking a mathematical explanation for the discrepancy.
shibme

Homework Statement

- see image

Homework Equations

I am having trouble figuring this out mathematically...

I have no idea why but I can't figure it out using V=IR that the circuit on the left has 1/3 the current of the circuit on the right...

can anyone please give a mathematical explanation?

The Attempt at a Solution

Left : 3Vb = I1 * RL
Right : Vb = I2 * RL

then if Vb = 2 and RL = 1, wouldn't that make I1 > I2, by 3 times..

anyone suggestions?

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    4.4 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is correct.

hmm... this question is actually from the book and the answer is in words... it states that the circuit on the right (I2) should be 3x the current on the left (I1), but according to my calculations that is not the case... I can't figure this out mathematically...

1. How does a power source work?

A power source works by converting a form of energy into electrical energy. This is typically done through the use of electromagnetism or chemical reactions. The electricity generated can then be used to power various devices.

2. What are the different types of power sources?

There are several types of power sources, including fossil fuels such as coal and natural gas, renewable sources such as solar and wind, and nuclear power. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of cost, availability, and environmental impact.

3. How do power sources impact the environment?

The impact of power sources on the environment can vary greatly. Fossil fuels, for example, produce greenhouse gases and contribute to air and water pollution. Renewable sources, on the other hand, have a much lower environmental impact but may have other drawbacks, such as land use or reliance on weather conditions.

4. What is the future of power sources?

The future of power sources is shifting towards more renewable and sustainable options. This is due to the increasing concerns about climate change and the depletion of non-renewable resources. Many countries and companies are investing in research and development for new and improved renewable energy technologies.

5. How can we increase the efficiency of power sources?

Efficiency can be increased by improving the technology used in power generation and distribution, as well as reducing energy waste. This can be achieved through the use of more efficient equipment and systems, implementing energy-saving practices, and investing in smart grid technology.