Power supply for testing: Variac or isolation transformer first?

In summary, the safest way to power up devices being tested/repaired is to use an isolation transformer first, followed by a variac. This ensures that the isolation transformer is not exposed to variable input voltage and keeps it within its rated power. The isolation transformer should also be fused at an appropriate amperage to match its power rating. A test supply panel with various safety features, such as a master switch and parallel bulbs for current limiting, can also be used for added protection.
Guineafowl
TL;DR Summary
As title.
This is for safely powering up devices being tested/repaired. Supply is 240V rms single phase, protected by 32A MCB and 30 mA RCD/GFCI, then fused at 13A.

There doesn’t seem to be a consensus online, and my EE and repair books just say I need both, without specifying order.

I think the isolation tx should go first, since it is designed to input/output 240V, and that is exactly what it’ll be doing. That way, the variac will take in 240V and output a variable voltage, again as per design.

If you put the variac first, the isolation transformer will be given a variable input voltage, from 0-270V.

Perhaps someone could confirm if I’m right, wrong, or it doesn’t matter. Mains Earth will of course be taken straight through without interruption.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would put the Iso transformer first. The 240Vac mains has a tolerance on it (10%?), so if you put the Variac first, you could get more than 270V into the Iso. (It still would probably be fine.)

BTW, 13A at 240V is a mongo Iso transformer, no? How big is that thing?

In a past life working on large telco SMPS, the iso transformer was first, then variac, I think from memory it was that way because the variac could provide somewhere like +20% or 25% voltage so we could test over voltage operation etc.

Guineafowl said:
Supply is 240V rms single phase, protected by 32A MCB and 30 mA RCD/GFCI, then fused at 13A.
berkeman said:
Does your Iso transformer look something like this?

https://www.ato.com/3-kva-isolation-transformer

You can do it either way. I would probably put the transformer first. That way the magnetizing current from the transformer (that's the primary current that flows in addition to the currents caused by the load) won't have to go through the variac. Although I suppose you could make the same argument about the viriac's magnetizing current too.
As others have said the variac being downstream will keep the transformer from seeing the extra 10-20% over-voltage when the variac is turned all the way up (if it does that). However, I' sure the transformer would be ok, it will just get a little hotter.
If either is rated for much larger power than the other, I would probably put that one closer to the source.

Thanks all. Sounds like iso first.

berkeman said:
I would put the Iso transformer first. The 240Vac mains has a tolerance on it (10%?), so if you put the Variac first, you could get more than 270V into the Iso. (It still would probably be fine.)

Ah, no - the supply is UK standard, but the isolation transformer is a rewound battery charger transformer, probably 300 VA or so. It’s just for powering up devices for testing, so I can scope them and flip the boards around without too much danger.

This and the variac (which is 2.4 kVA) will be used as part of my test supply panel:
0D5441F4-5E88-4417-8FF2-3F719DD9372B.png

Master switch turns everything off; second one toggles mains/isolated, and isolation tx can be turned off; next section allows a series bulb or complete bypass (‘missile’ cover so I don’t accidentally...); next three switches add in parallel bulbs to allow more current through in limit mode.

Finally, a decent socket with DP switch and a kill-a-watt type meter so I can measure what’s going on.

This will be for careful powering on of valve(tube) radios, and general solid-state boards with faults. This panel has been tested to UK standard:
Continuity/polarity.
Earth bond (send 30A through each Earth path (including switch bodies) to check integrity).
Insulation resistance (500Vdc between L+N and E).

Hopefully a useful addition to the bench!

Looks like a useful setup! :smile:
Guineafowl said:
probably 300 VA or so
In that case, I'd probably downsize the fuse for your setup...
Guineafowl said:
then fused at 13A

• Informative
Likes Guineafowl

1. What is the difference between a Variac and an isolation transformer?

A Variac is a type of variable autotransformer that allows for the adjustment of voltage output, while an isolation transformer is a type of transformer that isolates the input and output circuits for safety purposes.

2. Which one should I use first when testing a power supply?

It is generally recommended to use the isolation transformer first, as it provides an extra layer of protection by isolating the circuit from the main power supply. This can help prevent damage to the power supply or any connected equipment in case of a malfunction.

3. Can I use both a Variac and an isolation transformer together?

Yes, it is possible to use both a Variac and an isolation transformer together. However, it is important to always use the isolation transformer first to ensure safety.

4. Are there any risks involved in using a Variac or isolation transformer for power supply testing?

Like any electrical equipment, there are risks involved in using a Variac or isolation transformer for power supply testing. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and use the equipment as directed to minimize these risks.

5. Can I use a Variac or isolation transformer for all types of power supplies?

No, it is important to check the specifications of the power supply and the Variac or isolation transformer to ensure compatibility. Some power supplies may require specific types of transformers or may not be able to handle variable voltage adjustments.