Prduct of prime (m,m+1) < C(2m,m)

• Thread starter cantorset1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, we can prove that the product of primes between m+1 and 2m is less than C(2m,m) by showing that every prime in that range divides C(2m,m), and therefore the product of all those primes must also divide C(2m,m).
cantorset1985

Homework Statement

Prove that the product of primes between m+1 and 2m is less than C(2m,m)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have that it is less than (2m)!/m! = m!C(2m,m) which is just the product of all of the numbers from m+1 to 2m. Any help is appreciated. Even if you don't know the solution, an idea would be great. (BTW, this isn't a homework problem, I just heard it was true, so being new to the forums, I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this.) Are there any combinatoralists here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let p be a prime in (m+1,2m). Does p divide the numerator of C(2m,m)? What about the denominator? What can you deduce from that?

Gokul43201 said:
Let p be a prime in (m+1,2m). Does p divide the numerator of C(2m,m)? What about the denominator? What can you deduce from that?

Ohhhhhhhhh. Wow, that's a lot better than what I was planning to do!

Thanks.

Gokul43201 said:

Wait, I thought that I had it, but I don't think I do. Yes, the p divides (2m)! but not m!, so it divides the numerator of C(2m,m) but not the denominator. I need some more help :(

cantorset1985 said:
Wait, I thought that I had it, but I don't think I do. Yes, the p divides (2m)! but not m!, so it divides the numerator of C(2m,m) but not the denominator. I need some more help :(

Whoops. I did have it, I just forgot some basic elementary number theory. So, here is my solution:

Let P = the product of primes from (m+1 to 2m). Since (2m!)/(m!) is just the product of all numbers in (m+1,2m) then P | (2m!)/(m!). But, (2m!)/(m!) = m!C(2m,m) so we have that P |m!C(2m,m). Since m < any prime in (m+1,2m) P does not divide m! which means that P must divide C(2m,m), which, in turn imples that P < C(2m,m).

Thanks, that one was driving me crazy.

Also, the starter of this thread is me, through some confusion, I managed to create two accounts, and then use the cantorset account when I meant to use this account. My apologies!

Robert1986 said:
Whoops. I did have it, I just forgot some basic elementary number theory. So, here is my solution:

Let P = the product of primes from (m+1 to 2m). Since (2m!)/(m!) is just the product of all numbers in (m+1,2m) then P | (2m!)/(m!). But, (2m!)/(m!) = m!C(2m,m) so we have that P |m!C(2m,m). Since m < any prime in (m+1,2m) P does not divide m! which means that P must divide C(2m,m), which, in turn imples that P < C(2m,m).
That looks good.

Just for completeness, from the previous post:
cantorset1985 said:
If a prime p divides N but not D, and N/D is an integer, then it follows from the prime factorization of N and D, that p must divide N/D.

So every prime, p in (m+1,2m) divides C(2m,m). Therefore, the product, P, must too.

1. What is a product of prime (m,m+1)?

A product of prime (m,m+1) refers to the result of multiplying two consecutive prime numbers, with one number being m and the other being m+1.

2. How is a product of prime (m,m+1) calculated?

To calculate a product of prime (m,m+1), you would first need to find the two consecutive prime numbers that are being multiplied. Then, simply multiply them together to get the product.

3. What is the significance of a product of prime (m,m+1)?

A product of prime (m,m+1) has significance in number theory and has been studied extensively by mathematicians. It has also been used in cryptography and coding theory.

4. Is there a limit to the size of the product of prime (m,m+1)?

Yes, there is a limit to the size of the product of prime (m,m+1). This limit is known as the C(2m,m) constant, which is the largest product of prime (m,m+1) that can be represented by a 64-bit integer.

5. How is the product of prime (m,m+1) related to other mathematical concepts?

The product of prime (m,m+1) is related to various mathematical concepts, such as the Twin Prime Conjecture, the Goldbach's Conjecture, and the Riemann Hypothesis. It also has connections to the distribution of prime numbers and the prime number theorem.