Pre big bang infinite cold inflation?

In summary, Brian Cox mentioned a general acceptance among physicists of a possibly "infinitely long" period of cold inflation before the big bang. However, there is little evidence to support this theory and it is not considered a scientific explanation. Other theories suggest an infinite regression of big bangs, but this idea is aesthetically objectionable and has not been tested or falsified. Some argue that the exact rate of expansion in our universe is necessary for the existence of life, but this is not a scientifically sound explanation. Ultimately, the idea of an infinite loop of big bangs is not supported by current scientific understanding.
zerozenones
I was listening to Brian Cox on Intelligence Squared and he somewhat casually mentioned the general acceptance among physicists of a possibly "infinitely long" period of cold inflation predating the big bang and of the "sudden" stop to this inflation as the source of energy for the big bang... I'm just a science aficionado, but I thought I kept abreast of the current theory in that area of physics...but I've never heard of this! I'm retelling it from memory here and might not accurately relay what he explained, but can anyone elaborate on this for me?

Space news on Phys.org
Brian Cox is a very popular science popularizer but don't take him too seriously. There are several theories about pre-big-bang and they all share one thing in common which is that they all have zero evidence to back them up. In fact, as far as I know they are all unfalsifiable and thus not even science at all. Personally, I'm going with turtles all the way down since it makes just as much sense as any of the others :smile:

There are literally like a gazillion theories as to what happened before and after the big bang, each more intriguing that the previous one. For all you know, there were infinite number of big bangs and big crunches before the one that led to our universe. Big bang is generally considered the start of time and people just take shots in the dark about what existed before it.

An infinite regression of big bangs would be aesthetically objectionable. Imagine having to live the same life over and over and over ...

Chronos said:
An infinite regression of big bangs would be aesthetically objectionable. Imagine having to live the same life over and over and over ...

Not necessary there would have been life. Hawking says that it's strange that the rate at which the universe is expanding is the exact one which is necessary for the sustenance of life. Who knows how many times the Universe had to try to get that.

siddharth23 said:
Not necessary there would have been life. Hawking says that it's strange that the rate at which the universe is expanding is the exact one which is necessary for the sustenance of life. Who knows how many times the Universe had to try to get that.
That's just a cop-out explanation. There's no real science behind it. How would you test it? How would you falsify it?

phinds said:
That's just a cop-out explanation. There's no real science behind it. How would you test it? How would you falsify it?

You're right. There isn't!

Chronos said:

First, laws of physics are unlikely to have concept of aesthetics. :)

Second, even if every BB had the same physical laws and parameters (i.e. lasted the same time, the maximum expansion was the same, etc) it does not mean that the exact same galaxies, stars, and planets form every time. Unless we are horribly wrong about quantum mechanics, we know that this is impossible.

In an infinite loop of big bangs, whatever happens, however improbable, will be repeated an infinite number of times.

1. What is the "Pre big bang infinite cold inflation" theory?

The "Pre big bang infinite cold inflation" theory proposes that the universe underwent a period of rapid expansion before the traditional Big Bang, causing extreme cooling and setting the initial conditions for the universe we observe today.

2. How does this theory differ from the traditional Big Bang theory?

This theory differs from the traditional Big Bang theory in that it suggests a period of inflation before the Big Bang, whereas the traditional theory begins at the moment of the Big Bang itself.

3. What evidence supports the "Pre big bang infinite cold inflation" theory?

One of the key pieces of evidence supporting this theory is the observed uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which suggests that the universe underwent a period of rapid expansion.

4. Are there any criticisms of this theory?

One criticism of this theory is that it is difficult to test or confirm, as the extreme cooling and expansion occurred before the traditional Big Bang and therefore cannot be directly observed. Additionally, there are alternative theories that explain the observed uniformity of the cosmic microwave background without the need for a pre-Big Bang inflationary period.

5. How does this theory impact our understanding of the origin and evolution of the universe?

The "Pre big bang infinite cold inflation" theory suggests that the universe underwent a period of rapid expansion and cooling before the traditional Big Bang, providing insight into the initial conditions and formation of our universe. It also raises questions about what may have occurred before this inflationary period and what caused it to end and lead to the traditional Big Bang. Further research and evidence may help us better understand the origin and evolution of the universe.