Pre-Calc. Question: Graphing Rational Functions

In summary: If you're graphing by hand, then you can plot points to get a good idea of the graph. For the example above, you would find that the graph of the rational function is a line with a "hole" at x = -4, and a vertical asymptote at x = -1.
bballwaterboy
When you have a rational function, such as:

3x-5/x-1

After attaining things like the x and y intercepts and asymptotes, how do you know how many "pieces" of the graph there are? With linear functions/equations, you know it's a single line. Even quadratic graphs are a single piece - albeit a parabola. But with these rational type of functions/equations, there can sometimes be multiple pieces to graph.

How do you know how many there are?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Most people would use calculus to determine where the slope is zero to give you an idea of where the function changes direction.

bballwaterboy said:
When you have a rational function, such as:

3x-5/x-1

After attaining things like the x and y intercepts and asymptotes, how do you know how many "pieces" of the graph there are? With linear functions/equations, you know it's a single line. Even quadratic graphs are a single piece - albeit a parabola. But with these rational type of functions/equations, there can sometimes be multiple pieces to graph.

How do you know how many there are?
I presume you mean this:
$$f(x) = \frac{3x - 5}{x - 1}$$
What you wrote is ##3x - \frac{5}{x} - 1##

Without using LaTeX, you should write the fraction using parentheses, like so: (3x - 5)/(x - 1).

There's a lot you can do without invoking calculus. Since the function is defined for all real x except x = 1, the graph will be in two parts, with the line x = 1 being the vertical asymptote.

By polynomial long division it turns out that (3x - 5)/(x - 1) = 3 + -2/(x - 1), so the graph is similar to the graph of y = -1/x with a vertical shift upwards and a horizontal shift to the right.

In addition to the vertical asymptote, there is also a horizontal asymptote, which is more evident in the 3 + -2/(x - 1) form I wrote.

About the only properties of this function that require calculus are the locations of the relative maximum and minimum points. Most everything else can be determined without the use of calculus.

Can you see that a rational function will be continuous everywhere that it is defined? Intuitively, "continuous" means that its graph has no break.

Then the only question is how many places the rational function could be undefined.

Mark44 said:
I presume you mean this:
$$f(x) = \frac{3x - 5}{x - 1}$$
What you wrote is ##3x - \frac{5}{x} - 1##

Without using LaTeX, you should write the fraction using parentheses, like so: (3x - 5)/(x - 1).

There's a lot you can do without invoking calculus. Since the function is defined for all real x except x = 1, the graph will be in two parts, with the line x = 1 being the vertical asymptote.

By polynomial long division it turns out that (3x - 5)/(x - 1) = 3 + -2/(x - 1), so the graph is similar to the graph of y = -1/x with a vertical shift upwards and a horizontal shift to the right.

In addition to the vertical asymptote, there is also a horizontal asymptote, which is more evident in the 3 + -2/(x - 1) form I wrote.

About the only properties of this function that require calculus are the locations of the relative maximum and minimum points. Most everything else can be determined without the use of calculus.

Hi, Mark44

Yes. I did mean f(x) = ... Sorry, I forgot to add the function notation before the equation. o0) I'll definitely use your recommendation for how to write fractions in the future as well. I just didn't know how to write them with the line in this forum.

We don't do any sort of polynomial long division in my class. We get the vertical and horizontal asymptotes another way. But, assuming you have the asymptotes and the x & y intercepts, my question is still how do you graph this rational functions? I know there will be points on the intercepts, but then, how do you know:

a.) how many pieces there are
b.) where those pieces of the graph are located

?

Hope that questions makes more sense now. So, in other words, I've gotten all the relevant info. and I just literally want to know what to do with that info. in terms of graphing the rational function. Thanks very much!

bballwaterboy said:
how do you know:

a.) how many pieces there are
The numbers that make the denominator zero determine how many pieces there are in the graph. In your function, there is only one value where the function is undefined. Therefore, the graph is in two pieces - one piece to the left of the discontinuity, and one piece to the right. This is what jbriggs444 alluded to in his post.
bballwaterboy said:
b.) where those pieces of the graph are located
See above.

Mark44 said:
The numbers that make the denominator zero determine how many pieces there are in the graph. In your function, there is only one value where the function is undefined. Therefore, the graph is in two pieces - one piece to the left of the discontinuity, and one piece to the right. This is what jbriggs444 alluded to in his post.
See above.

Ahh! Got it now! Thanks jbriggs444 & Mark44. This makes sense finally!

As Mark44 pointed out...
Find all of the vertical asymptotes (set the denominator equal to zero and solve for ##x##--this will tell you the ##x##-values through which the vertical asymptotes go).
Once you do this, you have a rough idea of where the graph of the function is "split" into pieces.

AMenendez said:
As Mark44 pointed out...
Find all of the vertical asymptotes (set the denominator equal to zero and solve for ##x##--this will tell you the ##x##-values through which the vertical asymptotes go).
True enough for the example of this thread, but not necessarily true in general. For example the graph of this equation --
$$y =\frac{x^2 + 3x - 4}{(x + 4)(x + 1)} $$
-- has only one vertical asymptote. At the other discontinuity there's a "hole."
AMenendez said:
Once you do this, you have a rough idea of where the graph of the function is "split" into pieces.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mark44 said:
True enough for the example of this thread, but not necessarily true in general. For example the graph of this equation --
$$y =\frac{x^2 + 3x - 4}{(x + 4)(x + 1)} $$
-- has only one vertical asymptote. At the other discontinuity there's a "hole."

Why is there only one VA? Would x = -4 and x = -1 both not be VAs? Thanks.

If you factor the numerator, you will find that ##x^2 + 3x - 4## is equal to ##(x+4)(x-1)##

To elaborate on what jbriggs444 said, there's a "hole" discontinuity at x = -4. The factors of x + 4 in the numerator and denominator can be simplified to 1, as long as x is not equal to -4.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be written as the ratio of two polynomial functions. It is represented in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions and q(x) is not equal to zero.

2. How do I graph a rational function?

To graph a rational function, you can follow these steps:

• Find the vertical asymptotes by setting the denominator equal to zero and solving for x.
  • Find the horizontal asymptotes by comparing the degrees of the numerator and denominator.
  • Find the x-intercepts by setting the numerator equal to zero and solving for x.
  • Plot the points and connect them with a smooth curve.

3. How do I determine the domain and range of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is all the values that x can take without making the denominator equal to zero. The range is all the values that y can take. To determine the domain, set the denominator equal to zero and solve for x. To determine the range, analyze the behavior of the graph, such as the horizontal and vertical asymptotes.

4. What is the significance of the vertical and horizontal asymptotes in a rational function?

The vertical asymptotes represent the values of x where the function is undefined, and the graph approaches positive or negative infinity. The horizontal asymptotes represent the values of y that the graph approaches as x goes to positive or negative infinity. They can also help determine the end behavior of the graph.

5. Are there any special cases when graphing rational functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when graphing rational functions, such as when there is a hole in the graph (a common factor in the numerator and denominator that can be canceled out), or when the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator (in which case the graph will have an oblique asymptote).