1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precession of a gyroscope

1. Mar 12, 2013 #1
    Its a long time since I have done any mechanics and today I thought I would like to work out the equations of motion for a gyroscope. So I tried to put up a Lagrangian for a simple system (on the picture) of a rod of length L that is free to rotate about a pivot which has a flywheel (the red disk) which is free to rotate around about the axis of the rod.
    The lagrangian I foundd was simply: L = ½Iaθ'22 + ½Ibψ'2+mgcos(θ)L

But as you can see this Lagrangian fails as the equations of motion gives no dependence of ψ for the motion about the angle θ, which I would assume it should since the angular momentum of the flywheel about the axis of the rod dictates how the rod precesses. What am I doing wrong? Is it because ψ is not independent of θ? And what is the correct way of doing this problem, I havent done this kind of mechanics in a long time, so sorry if Im way off.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?