1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predicting a target for a ramp, using projectile motion and dynamics

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have this question where I need to determine how high up to place a metal ball on a ramp, having been given the ramp's target. The mass of the metal ball is 66.62g. To make things even more complicated, near to the end of the ramp, there is a loop-the-loop. The ramp ends at an angle of 17 degrees and the length of the upwards ramp at the end is 0.285m. How do I know the height at which to put the ball on the ramp?

2. Relevant equations

range x g= (initial velocity)squared x sin2(17 degrees)

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that I could get the initial velocity by using the above equation but I now realize that that is assuming that the y displacement is zero but the loop-the-loop is lower (in a sink) than where the ball lands (on the table).
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted