Predicting Cell Movement and Shape in Conway's Game of Life

  • Thread starter Thread starter johngalt827
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game Life
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
johngalt827
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I've decided to research Conway's Game of Life for my science project. and I can't seem to find any equations that would fit as Life's physical laws. Any ideas would be gratefully received. (Please keep in mind that I am merely a high schooler)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Im not sure life has any equations as such. I am not a biologist but nobody had answered your question so I thought Id give my two cents.

Life is normally governed by rules such as Darwinian Natural Selection (read " https://www.amazon.com/dp/0451529065/?tag=pfamazon01-20 "). These theories don't really have equations and are concepts.

At a fundamental all life and everything is governed by Quantum Mechanics or some even more fundamental theory, which does contain equations, but we are a ways off working this out yet!

Hope this helps.

J
 
Last edited by a moderator:
phyzguy said:
I don't really understand your question. Are you just looking for the algorithmic rules of the game? These are spelled out clearly here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_Game_of_Life

Actually, I was wondering if there were equations that would be able to predict the movement(?)/shape of the cells after "n" generations.
 
johngalt827 said:
Actually, I was wondering if there were equations that would be able to predict the movement(?)/shape of the cells after "n" generations.

I don't think anything of this sort exists.
 
johngalt827 said:
Actually, I was wondering if there were equations that would be able to predict the movement(?)/shape of the cells after "n" generations.
Well, not an equation, no. An algorithm, yes.

See, what you do is you set up a simulation. You configure your simulation to match the rules of the Game of Life that you're going to run (we'll call the simulation "The Game of the Game of Life"), then you iterate through the simulation until you reach generation 'n'. Your simulation will now spit out the movement and shape of the cells at generation 'n'. Now you can go back to your Game of Life and know what it will look like at gerenation "n".

Now here's a bonus question: how might you predict what the cells' shape and movement will be like at generation "n" in your Game of the Game of Life?

:biggrin: