Predicting Output Voltage Using Small Signal Diode Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of small signal diode modeling in predicting the output voltage of a circuit. The small signal equation for the diode is id = (ID/VT)*vd, where VT = 0.0252. The conversation also mentions using the fact that for very small signals, the diode behaves more like a resistor and how this can be used in the op-amp circuit. The conversation goes on to discuss DC and AC analysis and proposes using the diode equation and dynamic resistance to calculate the output voltage.
zak8000
small signal diode modelling i understand what it is but when i get asked a question like:

if vin(t)=2.5+cos(2*pi*100*t) for 0<t<30

use the small signal model of the diode to predict the output voltage of the circuit i have added. assume the opamp is ideal R=2000 Is=10e-16

so i know that the small signal equation is

id=(ID/VT)*vd where VT=0.0252

now since the opamp is ideal zero current is drawn in and since the configuration is in the inverting configuration then Vout=-vD

now i know i have to somehow dervive and expression for Vout using the small signal diode model equation which is

id(ac current)=(ID(dc current)/0.0252))*vd(ac voltage)

i also know that ID=Is*e(vD/VT)
=(10e-16)*e(vD/0.0252)

subbing into the small signal diode model equation

id=((10e-16)*e(vD/0.0252)/0.0252)*vd

and now i get lost and stuck because i don't know what to do or if i am doing the right thing in order to derive and expression for vout using the small signal diode model

please help!

Attachments

• 300px-Op-Amp_Logarithmic_Amplifier.svg.png
    300px-Op-Amp_Logarithmic_Amplifier.svg.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 487
Engineering news on Phys.org
For a very small signal, the diode behaves more like a resistor. How could you use this fact in the op-amp circuit?

dlgoff said:
For a very small signal, the diode behaves more like a resistor. How could you use this fact in the op-amp circuit?
I'm not so sure. The input voltage is +/-2.5V, so the diode quickly becomes fully forward biased on each positive half cycle with usual 0.6 to 0.7V drop, assuming silicon. Output waveform is asymmetric.
EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. I misread it as 2.5 * cos() instead of 2.5 + cos()

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. The input voltage is +/-2.5V, so the diode quickly becomes fully forward biased on each half cycle with usual 0.6 to 0.7V drop, assuming silicon. Output waveform is asymmetric.

I think we are dealing with an inverting amp.

For DC analysis, one can calculate the diode bias current which is related to R,

and then for AC analysis, replace the diode with a dynamic resistance. Then it looks easy.

would it be correct to say iD=(VD0-Vout)/rd for the circuit where VD0 is the voltage across the diode

zak8000 said:
would it be correct to say iD=(VD0-Vout)/rd for the circuit where VD0 is the voltage across the diode

Yes, but for AC analysis.

For simplicity, start with doing DC analysis first. If

v_in = 2.5V,

can you find I_d?

Hint: the negative input of the op-amp is a ground.

well for DC we could use the diode equation and say iD=vin/R and since the diode equation is iD=Ise(vD/VT) we could rearrage it to

Vout= -VT*ln(vin/R*Is) for DC

and then you have stated replace the diode with the dynamic resistance are you referring to rd the resistance across the diode?

1. What is a small signal diode?

A small signal diode is a type of semiconductor device that is designed to conduct electric current in one direction only. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electrical signals.

2. How does a small signal diode work?

A small signal diode works by creating a depletion region between its P-N junction, which acts as a barrier for the flow of current in the reverse direction. When a forward voltage is applied, this barrier is overcome and current can flow through the diode.

3. What is the purpose of modelling a small signal diode?

The purpose of modelling a small signal diode is to accurately predict its behavior and characteristics in a given circuit. This can help engineers design and optimize circuits for specific applications.

4. What are the key parameters in small signal diode modelling?

The key parameters in small signal diode modelling include the diode's forward and reverse bias characteristics, junction capacitance, and parasitic resistance. These parameters can vary depending on the diode's material, structure, and operating conditions.

5. How is small signal diode modelling used in practical applications?

Small signal diode modelling is used in practical applications to analyze and design electronic circuits, such as amplifiers, oscillators, and filters. It can also be used for testing and troubleshooting circuits, as well as predicting the performance of new diode designs.