Predicting Universe Collapse: Understanding the Forces at Work

In summary: It seems like there may be a lag between when the universe begins to contract and when it actually does. I'm not sure if this is due to some form of momentum or what, but it's something to think about.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Just from these forces can one predict when the universe will start to gravitationally collapse?

Edit

Would there be a (lag) from expansion to contraction.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Just from these forces can one predict when the universe will start to gravitationally collapse?

Hi Wolram,

I think something got lost in your question. Which forces in particular?

Jon

jonmtkisco said:
Hi Wolram,

I think something got lost in your question. Which forces in particular?

Jon

Silly me, Whatever it is that produces the Hubble flow and gravity, or may be i should ask,
can we predict when expansion will stop, will there be a lag before a re collapse.

Hi Wolram,

These are very broad questions. I am not aware of even an ATTEMPT to explain why expansion continues. As you know, the favored view at the moment is that inflation was the original motivation for expansion. Subsequently, some unexplained form of momentum is supposed to keep expansion going. But it is a strange form of momentum, because nothing actually "moves".

Objects continue to become further apart because they were already becoming further apart. They were already becoming further apart because of inflation. And inflation apparently caused objects to become further apart from each other at almost exactly the Newtonian escape velocity.

In the absence of Dark Energy or other cosmological constant, a flat universe (which ours approximates) will expand more and more slowly, but never at a zero expansion rate. In other words, the expansion will asymptotically approach zero.

If the universe is even slightly above critical density (say, by a total of 1 photon), then it will stop expanding at a certain point in time and begin contracting. There won't be a "pause" per se between expansion and contraction, it will be instantaneous. However, the expansion will be extreeeemely slow for a long time before it reaches zero and then begins contacting at an extreeeemely slow rate, which will accelerate over time.

If Lambda (Dark energy or cosmological constant) is sufficient to overcome the total force of gravity, then expansion will continue to accelerate at a geometrical rate. That is the current mainstream projection regarding Dark Energy. Such a universe will never contract.

Jon

Thanks jonmtkisco , it was a question that had me thinking.

Related to Predicting Universe Collapse: Understanding the Forces at Work

1. What is the definition of a force in the universe?

A force in the universe is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate, change direction, or deform. Forces are described by their magnitude and direction, and they can be either contact forces (resulting from physical contact between objects) or non-contact forces (acting at a distance).

2. What are the fundamental forces in the universe?

There are four known fundamental forces in the universe: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces govern the interactions between particles and objects at the smallest scales in the universe.

3. How does gravity play a role in the universe?

Gravity is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. It is responsible for the formation of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, and it also keeps these objects in their orbits. Gravity is the weakest of the fundamental forces, but it has an infinite range.

4. Can forces in the universe be balanced?

Yes, forces in the universe can be balanced, meaning that the net force acting on an object is zero. This can occur when two or more forces are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, canceling each other out. When forces are balanced, the object will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

5. How do forces in the universe affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to change its velocity, either by speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction. According to Newton's laws of motion, an object will remain in its state of motion (either at rest or moving in a straight line at a constant speed) unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. Therefore, forces are essential for understanding and predicting the motion of objects in the universe.