Premutations? or combinations?

Therefore, the number of combinations is x!/(n!(x-n)!). This is derived from the formula for permutations, but dividing by n! to account for the fact that order does not matter in combinations. So in summary, the number of combinations of X numbers with N 1's and X-N 0's can be calculated using the formula x!/(n!(x-n)!). This is because combinations do not take into account the order of the objects, while permutations do.
BananaNeil
Hey every body... I have been trying to figure this out for quite a while now... and i feel like i am making progress, but it just doesn't seem to be working.

Imagine you have a string of numbers with a length of X

N of those numbers must be 1 and X-N of those numbers must be zero. how many different combinations can i make?

(if it matters the relationship between n and x is this... x=(n^2)-(2*n))

any help would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
x choose n = x!/(n!*(x-n)!)

wowwww, thank you so much. =]

I was wondering if you could possibly explain why it works..

your answer was defiantly sufficient for my program, but i am really interested in why works.

Since you title this "Permutations? or combinations?", I feel I should point out that, strictly speaking, there is only one combination of X numbers, N of which are 1 and X- N of which are 0. There are
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}X \\ N\end{pmatrix}= \frac{X!}{N!(X- N)!}[/itex]
permutations.

For example, if X= 4 and N= 1, 1000, 0100, 0010, and 0001 are all the same combination. They are different permutations, differing in the order in which the digits are written. There is eactly 1 combination and 4!/(3!1!)= 4 permutations.

By the way, please don't use "X" and "x", "N" and "n" interchangably. They are different symbols and often mean different values in equations and formulas.

BananaNeil said:
I was wondering if you could possibly explain why it works..

your answer was defiantly sufficient for my program, but i am really interested in why works.

Consider a particular example, say X=10, N=3:

You want to pick 3 spots out of 10 spots. In how many ways can you do that?
Well, for the first one you have 10 possible choices for the second you have 9 possible choices and for the third you have 8 possible choices. So you can do this in 10·9·8 ways. This is equal to:

[tex] \frac{10 \cdot 9 \cdot 8 \cdot 7 \cdot 6 \cdot 5 \cdot 4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1}{7 \cdot 6 \cdot 5 \cdot 4 \cdot 3 \cdot 2 \cdot 1}
= \frac{10!}{(10-3)!}[/tex]

These 10·9·8 possible ways to pick the spots include different ways of picking the same 3 spots (i.e. picking the same spots in different order). So we want to divide these 10·9·8 possible ways to pick the spots by the number of ways in which each set of 3 spots can be ordered. This is the number of ways in which you can pick 3 out of 3 spots: 3·2·1 = 3!

So the total number of different sets of 3 spots that can be drawn from a set of 10 spots is: [tex]\frac{10!}{(10-3)!\cdot 3!}[/tex]

Actually, the number of permutations (not combinations) is x!/(x-n)!

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way of arranging objects or elements in a specific order. It is often denoted as nPr, where n represents the total number of objects or elements and r represents the number of objects or elements being selected and arranged in a particular order.

2. How is a permutation different from a combination?

A combination is a way of selecting items from a group without any specific order. Unlike permutations, the order of items does not matter in combinations. It is often denoted as nCr, where n represents the total number of objects or elements and r represents the number of objects or elements being selected without any specific order.

3. Can repetitions occur in permutations and combinations?

In permutations, repetitions are not allowed, meaning each element can only be selected once. However, in combinations, repetitions can occur, and an element can be selected multiple times.

4. How do I calculate the number of possible permutations or combinations?

The number of possible permutations can be calculated using the formula nPr = n!/(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected and arranged. The number of possible combinations can be calculated using the formula nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected without any specific order.

5. In what real-life situations are permutations and combinations used?

Permutations and combinations are used in various fields such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, and economics. In real-life, they are used to solve problems related to probability, counting arrangements, and data analysis. They can also be applied in areas such as genetics, finance, and game theory.