Preplexing Vector Fields

In summary: So, just as in 3 dimensions, when you specify a vector you have to specify all of the coefficients of the basis vectors. In n dimensions, a vector is specified by n numbers, not 3.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vector-valued functions and their applications in fields such as Engineering and Astrophysics. The purpose of using vector-valued functions is to avoid dependence on the coordinate system and to describe problems with dimensionality greater than 3. While it may be difficult to imagine or graph these functions, their formalism allows for rigorous analysis. In higher dimensions, more than 3 basis vectors are needed to specify a vector.
Muhammad Ali
I am learning vector analysis these days. I have some knowledge of the applications of the vector field in the field of Engineering and Astrophysics. I am also aware of the fact that vector field is a function that assigns a unique vector to each point in two or three dimensional space.
Firstly, What I don't understand is the need for vector-valued function. For example, we know that a position vector determines the position of a point in two or three dimensional space and the vector field or vector-valued function assigns this vector. Therefore why we use vector-valued function when the solution (value of x & y) of ordinary function can be represented graphically which also represents a unique point.
Secondly, I can fully imagine the graphical representation of a function in three dimensions (to some extent if the fourth dimension is time) but I cannot imagine a n variable function graphically. What is the logic behind these sort of functions and is it possible to graph these functions and if yes how?
Finally, I am learning about the vector-valued function of more than three dimensions therefore how the vector field assigns a unique vector to the points generated by these vectors (keeping in mind that we have only three units vectors namely i, j and k along x, y and z axes)?
Please answer these questions very comprehensively because I am very confused by these questions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The purpose of vector valued functions... let's say a particle is moving around a track. You want to know what its velocity is given what point on the track it's at. You would have a function that maps its position vector to its velocity vector, i.e. a vector field. Why WOULD you want to represent all of these functions graphically? It's not very rigorous, and it's not analytical, so you really can't do much besides smile at a pretty picture, which you can't even draw without getting the vector field first

Graphical representation, of course you can't imagine it. Humans inherently have difficulty imagining anything past three dimensions, because it's outside our scope. I don't see why you ask what the logic is behind the functions... the fact that we can describe them rigorously means that we can get around our lack of intuition, so when we come up with theories like relativity we're prepared to deal with more than three dimensions.

I don't get the last part, perhaps you can go into more detail?

If you are studying vector analysis why object to vector values functions?
Therefore why we use vector-valued function when the solution (value of x & y) of ordinary function can be represented graphically which also represents a unique point.
In a particular coordinate system, a vector can be identified with <x, y, z>. But the whole point of vectors is that they don't depend on the coordinate system. We use vectors rather than coordinates to avoid dependence on the coordinate system.

Secondly, I can fully imagine the graphical representation of a function in three dimensions (to some extent if the fourth dimension is time) but I cannot imagine a n variable function graphically. What is the logic behind these sort of functions and is it possible to graph these functions and if yes how?
Because there exist problems with "dimensionality" greater than 3! It is precisely because we cannot visualize (or graph) this situation that we want a "formalism" we can use instead.

Finally, I am learning about the vector-valued function of more than three dimensions therefore how the vector field assigns a unique vector to the points generated by these vectors (keeping in mind that we have only three units vectors namely i, j and k along x, y and z axes)?
No, I can't keep that in mind! If you are working in more than 3 dimensions, then you have more than 3 mutually orthogonal axes and so more than 3 basis vectors (which, I think, is what you meant rather than "unit vectors"- there are an infinite number of vectors of length 1).

1. What is a preplexing vector field?

A preplexing vector field is a type of mathematical model used to describe the movement of particles or objects in a given space. It is represented by a set of vectors that indicate both the direction and magnitude of the movement at any given point.

2. How is a preplexing vector field different from other vector fields?

A preplexing vector field is unique in that it contains both complex and imaginary components, making its analysis and calculation more challenging. It is often used in more advanced applications of mathematics and physics.

3. What practical applications does a preplexing vector field have?

Preplexing vector fields have various practical applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetics. They are also used in computer graphics, video game development, and weather forecasting.

4. How is a preplexing vector field created?

Preplexing vector fields are typically created using mathematical models and equations that describe the behavior of particles or objects in a given space. These models can be solved using advanced numerical methods, such as finite difference methods or spectral methods.

5. What are some challenges in working with preplexing vector fields?

One of the main challenges in working with preplexing vector fields is their complex nature, which can make their analysis and calculation difficult. Additionally, the behavior of these vector fields can be highly unpredictable, making it challenging to make accurate predictions or simulations.