Prerequisites to modern physics?

In summary: Actually, I haven't taken chemistry yet. Haha. I've been putting off my "breadth" courses, so take that into...
Leonhart231
So, I'm a third year electrical engineer, with a heavy interest in more advanced / theoretical / particle physics.

I have a few questions actually.
What more should I learn before trying to tackle special / general relativity, quantum mechanics, etc?
Is there a particular order I should learn those topics in?
And are there any books you recommend on the subjects?

Here's what I currently know in math and physics:

Math:
Multivariable calculus (I've worked through 5 dimensions if that's important)
Linear algebra
Differential equations
Complex (imaginary) calculus
Frequency (continuous and discreet) domain analysis (Fourier, Z, and Laplace transforms)
Currently in a probability and random variables course.

Physics:
Basic first year college physics (mechanics, rotational motion, thermodynamics, waves, electronics and magnetism)
As an EE, I of course know a lot more about electronics.
I am currently in a dedicated E&M course.

I'd also like to clarify that I don't just want a theoretical understanding, but a mathematical understanding, meaning, that I can actually solve problems, rather than just know approximately how it works.

This is also my first time on Physics Forums, so if I've done anything wrong, or if you need more information, let me know! Thank you!

EDIT: I realized I should mention that I'll be teaching myself everything, in case that wasn't clear.

Last edited:
Likes fauzannr
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you start with an "introductory modern physics" textbook of the kind that is used for a class that often follows the freshman intro physics sequence (mechanics / E&M / thermo). Here's the book that I used for several years:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/013805715X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are several other similar textbooks. You'll find links to some of them on that Amazon page.

At the college where I had my first teaching job after grad school, all the EE majors were in fact required to take a course like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any thoughts regarding my first 2 questions (or additions to the third)?

Thank you jtbell for your recommendation!

You've taken more maths/physics courses than is required at my university to do an intro quantum mechanics course that's roughly based on Griffiths. So I think that you're more than ready to start QM.

Leonhart231 said:
I have a few questions actually.
What more should I learn before trying to tackle special / general relativity, quantum mechanics, etc?
Is there a particular order I should learn those topics in?
And are there any books you recommend on the subjects?

From the looks of it, it seems that you've got all of the math covered. As for the answer to your first question, just the basics of special / general relativity, but I'm sure you've gotten those narrowed down. As for QM, I'd recommend taking a chemistry course if you haven't already.

As for the second one, it's a bit unclear. Are you talking about Modern Physics, or the topics mentioned in your first question? If so, then Special Relativity > General Relativity > Quantum Mechanics.

I'm not sure about your third question, there are a lot of books out there on those various subjects. I'd say your best bet would be a textbook since you're learning the material on your own. As for recommendations, I'm not sure, sorry. :frown:

Hopefully this helped!

Lyrassia said:
If so, then Special Relativity > General Relativity > Quantum Mechanics.
Why would someone need to learn GR before learning QM?

WannabeNewton said:

And why would you need chemistry for QM?

Lyrassia said:
As for the second one, it's a bit unclear. Are you talking about Modern Physics, or the topics mentioned in your first question? If so, then Special Relativity > General Relativity > Quantum Mechanics.

I initially meant the order to learn the modern physics topics in, but I guess it applies to any pre-requisites as well. Thanks for the thoughts!

WannabeNewton said:

One wouldn't need too, I'd presume someone would know GR before QM.

micromass said:
And why would you need chemistry for QM?

Again, someone wouldn't need to. Someone would already have taken chemistry before QM.

Lyrassia said:

Why??

QM is a standard undergrad course. Many PhD's in physics never even study GR. I have no idea why you would presume this.

Lyrassia said:
This is completely false.

micromass said:
Why??

QM is a standard undergrad course. Many PhD's in physics never even study GR. I have no idea why you would presume this.

I know that QM is a standard course for undergrad. I didn't mean SR as an actual course, just a brushed topic in a physics lecture.

Lyrassia said:
Again, someone wouldn't need to. Someone would already have taken chemistry before QM.

Actually, I haven't taken chemistry yet. Haha. I've been putting off my "breadth" courses, so take that into account.

Leonhart231 said:
Actually, I haven't taken chemistry yet. Haha. I've been putting off my "breadth" courses, so take that into account.

That's fine. It doesn't really matter. :p

1. What are the basic concepts and theories that are essential for understanding modern physics?

In order to grasp modern physics, one must have a strong foundation in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These concepts and theories are the building blocks of modern physics and are necessary for understanding more complex concepts.

2. Can someone with no background in physics understand modern physics?

While having a background in physics can make it easier to understand modern physics, it is not a requirement. With dedication and perseverance, anyone can learn and understand the fundamental concepts of modern physics.

3. How important is mathematics in modern physics?

Mathematics is essential in modern physics as it provides the language and tools for describing and understanding physical phenomena. A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary for tackling advanced concepts in modern physics.

4. What are the real-life applications of modern physics?

Modern physics has many practical applications in areas such as technology, medicine, and energy production. Examples include the development of computer chips, nuclear medicine, and renewable energy sources.

5. Is it necessary to have knowledge of history and philosophy to understand modern physics?

While having an understanding of the historical and philosophical context of modern physics can enhance one's understanding, it is not a prerequisite. The focus in modern physics is on the scientific method and empirical evidence to explain the physical world, rather than historical or philosophical theories.