Prescription drug's out of control?

• Medical
  • Thread starter jreelawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Control
In summary, the individual is concerned about their mother's behavior and has recently discovered she is taking Wellbutrin, an antidepressant with side effects that match her behavior. They question whether it is appropriate for doctors to prescribe such serious psychoactive drugs for issues like smoking and weight loss. They suggest that the individual and their mother speak with her doctor and consider alternative medications.
jreelawg
I have been worried about my mother lately, because of the way she behaves. She has a serious lack of ability to concentrate. It is almost impossible to tell her a full sentence sometimes because she will interupt, change the subject, and it is clear she didn't absorb anything I said. On top of this, she will also be agitated, over things that make no sense, like how hot it is out, spilt milk etc.

So I recently found out she is taking this stuff called, wellbutrin, to help her quit smoking. It seams that the side effects pretty much match her behavior. But it is interesting that the drug is mainly used to treat major depression. Side effects are things like dilusion, thoughts of suicide, seizures, inability to concentrate, agitation etc.

I also read that the drug is now being marketed as a weight loss pill, to help you quit smoking, arthritis, and the list goes on.

Is this out of control when doctors are prescribing these kinds of serious psychoactive drugs with all sorts of mental side effects for things like smoking, and weight loss.

It seamed my mom didn't even know it was an anti-depressant, yet her doctor prescribed it. I think it makes her a completely different person. I told her to stop taking it.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
So the obvious reply in this situation is for you and your mom to sit down with her doctor and talk things through. Take copies of your web research on the drug with you to the appointment.

When is the appointment scheduled?

jreelawg said:
I have been worried about my mother lately, because of the way she behaves. She has a serious lack of ability to concentrate. It is almost impossible to tell her a full sentence sometimes because she will interupt, change the subject, and it is clear she didn't absorb anything I said. On top of this, she will also be agitated, over things that make no sense, like how hot it is out, spilt milk etc.

So I recently found out she is taking this stuff called, wellbutrin, to help her quit smoking. It seams that the side effects pretty much match her behavior. But it is interesting that the drug is mainly used to treat major depression. Side effects are things like dilusion, thoughts of suicide, seizures, inability to concentrate, agitation etc.

I also read that the drug is now being marketed as a weight loss pill, to help you quit smoking, arthritis, and the list goes on.

Is this out of control when doctors are prescribing these kinds of serious psychoactive drugs with all sorts of mental side effects for things like smoking, and weight loss.

It seamed my mom didn't even know it was an anti-depressant, yet her doctor prescribed it. I think it makes her a completely different person. I told her to stop taking it.

I'm a neurobiology student. Take what I say with a grain of salt; I'm better informed than most, but it'll be a few years before I get my PhD in neurobiology - and what I plan to research most definitely isn't drug interactions.

The best I can say is that your mother is probably experiencing side effects. There are drugs with less severe side effects than Wellbutrin that are used to help people quit smoking; see if her doctor can shift her onto one of those.

As per PF rules, we cannot provide medical diagnoses. Please schedule an appointment with your doctor.

1. What is causing the rise in prescription drug abuse?

There are several factors that have contributed to the increase in prescription drug abuse. These include the overprescription of painkillers, the availability of prescription drugs through online pharmacies, and the misconception that prescription drugs are safer than illegal drugs.

2. How are prescription drugs being obtained without a legitimate prescription?

Prescription drugs can be obtained without a legitimate prescription through a variety of ways, including doctor shopping, theft, and illegal online pharmacies. Additionally, some individuals may obtain prescription drugs from friends or family members who have a valid prescription.

3. What are the most commonly abused prescription drugs?

The most commonly abused prescription drugs include opioid painkillers, such as oxycodone and hydrocodone, benzodiazepines, such as Xanax and Valium, and stimulants, such as Adderall and Ritalin.

4. What are the long-term effects of prescription drug abuse?

The long-term effects of prescription drug abuse can vary depending on the specific drug being abused, but can include addiction, physical and mental health problems, and damage to relationships and career. In some cases, prescription drug abuse can also lead to overdose and death.

5. What can be done to address the issue of prescription drug abuse?

There are several steps that can be taken to address prescription drug abuse, including implementing stricter regulations for prescribing and dispensing controlled substances, increasing access to addiction treatment programs, and educating healthcare providers and the public about the dangers of prescription drug abuse. It is also important for individuals to properly dispose of unused or expired prescription medications and to only use prescription drugs as directed by a healthcare professional.