1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Present this matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices question

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    how to present this matrix as a multiplication of elementary matrices
    [tex]
    \bigl(\begin{smallmatrix}
    0 &6 &2 \\
    1& 1 &0 \\
    5&3 &1
    \end{smallmatrix}\bigr)
    [/tex]

i cant understand in general what are they doing in this solution
    http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9508/34036247.th.gif [Broken]

??

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know what you mean by "I understand in general". Do you know how to "row-reduce" a matrix? Every "row-operation" corresponds to an elementary matrix: the matrix you get by performing that same row operation on the identity matrix.

There are many different ways to row-reduce any matrix but I like to start on the left and clear one column at a time. For example, I might, as the first step in row-reduction, swap the first two rows, going from
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 6 & 2 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 5 & 3 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    to
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 6 & 2 \\ 5 & 3 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Which corresponds to the elementary matrix we get by swapping the first two rows in the identity matrix:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The next thing I might do is subtract 5 times the (new) first row from the third.
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 6 & 2 \\ 0 & -2 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and that corresponds to the elementary matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ -5 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    What we have done so far corresponds to the product of those two elementary matrices. Continue to row-reduce and write down the corresponding elementary matrix. Be careful about the order of multiplication.

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3
    so when multiply all the elementary matrices
    i get the original one

but they multiply only the first 4??

and i cant understand whats E what F in the equations
    ??

5. Feb 28, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are 6 elementary matrices. I don't see where they are multiplying "only the first 4".
    The "E" matrices are the elementary matrices corresponding to the row operations needed to row-reduce matrix A. The "F" matrices are their inverses (which are also elementary matrices). A is the product of the "F" matrices.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. Mar 1, 2009 #5
    i looked in a paper r and when there are operations like L1-5L2->L2
    then on the elemtary matrix part
    they say
    L1+5L2->L2
    i was told that its because they was to create elementary matrices which are invertable to itself X=X^-1
    E1*E2*E3*...*A=I
    so
    E1^-1*E2^-1*E3^-1..*E1*E2*E3*...*A=I*E1^-1*E2^-1*E3^-1..
    so
    A=E1^-1*E2^-1*E3^-1..
    but the inverses are the as the originals so we just need to multiply the
    elementary matrices
    correct??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook