Calculating Pressure Change in Liquid After Adding Weight

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in pressure at the bottom of a cup when a ball is dropped into it. The initial solution is that the pressure increases due to the increased depth of the water. However, there may be other factors at play. The equation for liquid pressure is also mentioned.
mr.book
This started to bother me today. In the first picture, there's a cup wheres a certain amount of water in it. A ball made of aluminium hasnt been dropped in the cup yet.
In the second picture, the ball has been dropped in.

The ball has not sinked, a string is holding it.

Now please tell me, how did the pressure on the botton of the cup created BY THE WATER change?
I mean, the water level just rose. So the pressure should also.
But there seems to be another solution to the problem, and I just can't figure it out.

The equation for liquid pressure is p= RO*g*h.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your initial solution is correct. Since the depth of the water is now larger, the pressure at the bottom is higher.

1. How do you calculate the pressure change in a liquid after adding weight?

The pressure change in a liquid after adding weight can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure change, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the liquid.

2. What units are used for pressure change in liquid?

The units commonly used for pressure change in liquid are pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m²). However, other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or atmospheres (atm) may also be used.

3. How does the density of the liquid affect the pressure change?

The density of the liquid plays a significant role in determining the pressure change. A denser liquid will experience a greater pressure change compared to a less dense liquid when the same weight is added. This is because the pressure is directly proportional to the density of the liquid.

4. Is the pressure change in a liquid affected by the shape or size of the container?

No, the pressure change in a liquid is not affected by the shape or size of the container. It is solely dependent on the density of the liquid and the height of the liquid column above the point of measurement.

5. Can the pressure change in a liquid be negative?

Yes, the pressure change in a liquid can be negative. This occurs when the weight added to the liquid causes it to compress, resulting in a decrease in the height of the liquid column and therefore a negative pressure change.