Pressure or volume for state thermodynamics

In summary, we are given a problem involving a piston cylinder arrangement containing CO2 at 300kPa and 100°C with a volume of 0.2m^3. Weights are added to compress the gas according to the polytropic process PV^1.2=constant to a final temperature of 200°C. The work done is determined using the equation W=-80.4 kJ. The universal gas equation can be used to find the final state pressure volume product, and using this we can solve for the final pressure and volume. This can also be done using EES. Additionally, the relation PV^n=C can be used to solve for the final pressure and volume as well. It is important to note that
JSBeckton
Dont know how to start this one without a pressure or volume for state 2-

A piston cylinder arrangement (cylinder facing up with a piston pushing down) contains C02 at 300kpa and 100 deg C with vol of .2m^3. Weights are added such that the gas compresses according to PV^1.2= constant to final temp of 200 deg C. Determine work done.

This problem was in the book but not assigned, we didn't do anything like it but I wouldn't put it past him to put it on the test anyways. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Anwser -80.4 kJ

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a polytropic process.

[tex] P=CV^{-n} [/tex]

[tex] W_b = \int^2_1 PdV = \int^2_1 CV^{-n} dV = C \frac{ V_2^{-n+1} - V_1^{-n+1}}{-n +1} = \frac{P_2V_2 - P_1V_1}{1-n} [/tex]

Try and work it out now.

Last edited:
Suggestion: Can the universal gas equation be of use to get the final state pressure volume product(i.e P2V2).

Note: Be sure that you are using absolute units.

cyrusabdollahi said:
This is a polytropic process.

[tex] P=CV^{-n} [/tex]

[tex] W_b = \int^2_1 PdV = \int^2_1 CV^{-n} dV = C \frac{ V_2^{-n+1} - V_1^{-n+1}}{-n +1} = \frac{P_2V_2 - P_1V_1}{1-n} [/tex]

Try and work it out now.

Thats what I was trying to do but can't solve it because I don't have P2 or V2, if I had one I could solve for the other.

You are given:[itex]Gas=CO_2[/itex], [itex]P_1 =300kPA [/itex], [itex] T_1 = 100C^o [/itex], [tex]V_1 = 0.2m^3 [/itex], and [itex] T_2 = 200 C^o [/itex].

From the initial state you know that:

[tex] V=vm [/tex]

This means the initial mass, which is your total closed system, is equal to: [tex] \frac{V}{v} = m [/tex]

You can find [itex]v_{1,100C^o} [/itex] from your tables.

You can also find [itex]v_{2,200C^o}[/itex] from your tables.

From there you can find [tex] V_2 = v_2 m [/tex]

Now you can use:

[tex] PV^n = C [/tex]

to find the pressure at state two.

Edit: If you don't want to use your tables you can also use EES, which will do all this lookup work and calculations for you. It's a very nice and very powerful equation solver.

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't have tables for CO2 so they probabally wanted me to use the computer program that was with the book. Thankfully that question was not on the test.

Are you using Cengel and Boles? Does it have a picture of the sunset on it? Its a VERY good book. I would tell you to go buy it if you have the cash and throw away your currenet book.

Last edited:
You can do it without tables by using universal gas equation.

P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 or P2V2 = P1V1T2/T1

So P2V2 = 300 kPa x 0.2 cu.m x 473 K/373 K (based upon the answer 300 kPa seems to be absolute pressure).

So, P2V2 = 76.08 kJ

So work done is (76.08 - 60)/(-0.2) = -80.4 kJ (negative sign indicates work done on the system)

Nice. Did not see that. That is a lot easier.

BAH! I am looking at my tables now, I forgot that you need two properties to specify the specific volume at a state. So knowing just the temperature is not enough. The Pv=RT relation is the ONLY way to solve it.

Last edited:
How about: W= R (T2-T1)/n-1

Am i too late??

Is polytropic the same as adibatic? (PV^n)
Edit: i think i have the answer: it is adibatic if n=cp/cv, isobaric if n=0 and isothermal if n=1. But that raises another question of course, what if 0<=n<=1?

Last edited:
All process are polytropic, but there are same special casess for n=0, n=1 etc so I thing that for 0<n<1 it is a polytropic process.

1. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in state thermodynamics?

In state thermodynamics, pressure and volume have an inverse relationship. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as Boyle's Law.

2. How do changes in pressure and volume affect the state of a gas?

Changes in pressure and volume can cause a gas to change its state. For example, increasing pressure while keeping volume constant can cause a gas to change from a gas to a liquid. Similarly, decreasing pressure while keeping volume constant can cause a gas to change from a liquid to a gas.

3. Can pressure and volume both be varied independently in state thermodynamics?

In state thermodynamics, pressure and volume are both intensive properties, meaning they are dependent on the size and amount of the substance being studied. Therefore, they cannot be varied independently. A change in one will always affect the other.

4. How is pressure related to the kinetic energy of gas molecules?

In state thermodynamics, the pressure of a gas is directly related to the kinetic energy of its molecules. As the molecules of a gas move faster and collide with the walls of its container more frequently, the pressure of the gas increases. This relationship is known as the Ideal Gas Law.

5. What is the significance of pressure and volume in thermodynamic processes?

Pressure and volume are important parameters in thermodynamic processes as they help us understand the behavior of gases and how they change from one state to another. By studying the relationship between pressure and volume, we can make predictions and calculations about the properties and behavior of gases under different conditions.