Solving Pressure Problems: Vacuum Cleaner & Octopus

• Thread starter psycovic23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, we are trying to determine the weight of the heaviest brick a very powerful vacuum cleaner, with a hose diameter of 2.86cm and no nozzle, can lift. To solve this, we need to use the equation P = P_0 + pgh, where P is the pressure generated by the vacuum cleaner. For the second part, we need to find the maximum force a very powerful octopus, using a sucker with a diameter of 2.86cm, can exert in salt water 32.3m deep by considering the pressure and area it is acting on.
psycovic23
(a) A very powerful vacuum cleaner has a hose 2.86cm in diameter. With no nozzle on the hose, what is the weight of the heaviest brick it can lift? (b) A very powerful octopus uses one sucker, of diameter 2.86cm, on each side of a shell of a clam in an attempt to pull the shells apart. Find the greatest force the octopus can exert in salt water 32.3m deep.

(a) - I'm not sure how I know the power of the vacuum, but I think I'm suppose to use [tex]P = P_0 + pgh[/tex] although I'm not sure how.

(b) I have no clue how to do this :-\

Could anyone lend a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part you need to know what pressure the vacuum cleaner is generating.

Once you have this you need to think about over what area this pressure is acting.

Remember

Pressure * Area = Force

And the force relates to the weight.

The second part is not so different... :smile:

Well, the problem doesn't give me the pressure of the vacuum. Is that something I can assume?

Of course, a vacuum cleaner doesn't actually pull anything- it reduces the density of air in it and then the pressure of the outside air pushes things in.
The minimum possible density is, of course, 0 which would result in the air pressure (one atomosphere) pushing against the brick. Multiply standard one atmospher air pressure by the area of the hose to find the maximum possible force.

1. What is the relationship between pressure and air flow in a vacuum cleaner?

The pressure in a vacuum cleaner is responsible for creating a suction force that pulls air and debris into the machine. As the pressure decreases inside the vacuum, the surrounding air rushes in to fill the space, carrying dust and particles with it. This creates a flow of air that helps to pick up dirt and debris.

2. How does an octopus use pressure to move and manipulate objects?

Octopuses have the ability to control the amount of water in their body by changing the pressure within their internal chambers. By manipulating this pressure, they can move their tentacles and create suction to grasp and manipulate objects. This is similar to how a vacuum cleaner uses pressure to pick up debris.

3. Can pressure be used to clean surfaces other than floors?

Yes, pressure can be used to clean a variety of surfaces, including walls, windows, and even furniture. Pressure washers use high-pressure water to remove dirt and grime from outdoor surfaces, while compressed air can be used to blow dust off of delicate objects without causing damage.

4. How do you calculate the amount of pressure needed to clean a specific surface?

The amount of pressure needed to clean a surface depends on the type of surface and the level of dirt or debris present. Generally, a higher pressure will be needed for tougher stains or thicker layers of dirt. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and start with a lower pressure setting, gradually increasing if necessary.

5. Is it possible to have too much pressure when using a vacuum cleaner or handling an octopus?

Yes, excessive pressure can be harmful in both situations. Using a vacuum cleaner with too much pressure could potentially damage delicate surfaces or objects. When handling an octopus, too much pressure can cause harm to the animal's soft body. It is important to use the appropriate amount of pressure in both cases to avoid any damage or harm.