Pressure reduction and increased volume

In summary, the individual is trying to operate a steam generator designed for natural gas on liquid petroleum gas (LPG-Propane) from cylinders. Despite using a pressure regulator and smaller orifice, the system is not getting enough gas volume and is locking out. The manufacturer does not have a conversion kit and has suggested using multiple cylinders in parallel, raising the issue of how to regulate the combination.
asami58
Hi. Can someone help me please.
I have a steam generator which is designed to operate from natural gas with pressure of 2000 -4000 mmAq. It consumes a volume of 71 Nm3/h of the gas. I want to operate it on Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG-Propane). The problem is that LPG is available in cylinders at a pressure of 150 to 200 psi. I used a pressure regulator to bring down the pressure to required limits, but the system locks out because it is not getting sufficient volume of the gas. How can I provide it with the required volume and pressure from an LPG cylinder?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your regulator must be set too low: propane has a higher energy content per unit volume than natural gas so you actually need less of it. So actually, in addition to the regulator, you may need a smaller orifice to allow less flow at the same pressure. See if your manufacturer has a conversion kit.

Hi Russ
Thanks for the reply. Firstly, the manufacturers (Booster Boiler Co Ltd, Korea) don't have a conversion kit. Secondly, i did use a smaller orifice (the LPG cylinder valve allows for about 0.25" nozzles). Originally, the unit requires a 2" dia inlet pipe for the gas, I used a 0.25" nozzle. It allows the pressure to be regulated, but somehow the volume isn't sufficient. The air/gas mixture not being optimum, the flame is not blue enough and the flame detector gives a lockout. The company has advised I use multiple cylinders in parallel, which brings me to the point of wanting to know how to regulate the combination?

FAQ: Pressure reduction and increased volume

1. What is pressure reduction and increased volume?

Pressure reduction and increased volume refer to changes in the amount of force per unit area and the amount of space occupied by a substance, respectively. This can occur through physical or chemical processes.

2. How can pressure be reduced?

Pressure can be reduced by decreasing the amount of force applied to a substance, increasing the area over which the force is spread, or increasing the volume of the substance. Examples include decreasing the amount of gas in a container or applying a vacuum to decrease atmospheric pressure.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

According to Boyle's Law, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume when temperature and amount of gas are held constant. This means that as volume increases, pressure decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does pressure reduction affect the properties of a substance?

Pressure reduction can lead to changes in the physical and chemical properties of a substance. For example, decreasing pressure can cause gases to liquefy, and increasing pressure can lead to the formation of new chemical compounds.

5. What are some practical applications of pressure reduction and increased volume?

Pressure reduction and increased volume have many practical applications in everyday life. These include the functioning of household appliances such as refrigerators and air conditioners, the production of industrial gases, and the operation of scuba diving equipment.

Back