Sizing Chamber for Pressure Reduction - CO2 Essential Oil Extraction

In summary, you would need a larger chamber to maintain pressure at a higher temperature. This would depend on the size of the chamber, the pressure, and the temperature.
andyhull77
Hello,

I am new here and have a question about sizing a chamber for pressure reduction.

I am going to run CO2 75 degree at 1000 psi into a chamber that is 150+ degrees. What size chamber...or what volume rather do I need to drop down to the 2-300psi range?

I am sure this is a vague or improper question. But it is for a CO2 essential oil extraction setup and cannot find the answer anywhere.

Thanks

Andy

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. It is a vague question. The pressure in the chamber will depend on how much CO2 is placed inside. Is the chamber initially evacuated before the CO2 is admitted? How is the CO2 delivered to the chamber? Does it come through a pipeline or from another container which is close to the chamber? How is the flow of the CO2 controlled? Is the chamber insulated?

Steamking, Thanks for the reply.

The system is a closed loop system. There is a vacuum on the system before the CO2 is added so it fills the entire system before pressurization. The CO2 is run through plant material at pressure removing the essential oils from it. The pressurized oil laden CO2 is and sprayed into a larger heated vessel atomizing it and subsequently separating the oil from the gas. This is where the pressure drop happens. Going from a 1/4" line at 1000 psi and 75 degrees into a 6" vessel at 150 degrees.

The current machine we have goes into a smaller separation vessel at the same temp. But has 2 vessels. One for the primary separation and a secondary vessel "just in case" it needs a little more separation. I want to go to a larger vessel at a much higher temp, assuming there will be a more efficient separation of the particles due to the greater pressure drop and higher temperature allowing me to use maybe 1 - 6" vessel as opposed to 2 - 4" vessels.

I do not know the calculation for the sizing of the vessel based on the pressure and temperature differential. I would like to be able to use 1 larger vessel to take the place of the 2 smaller ones basically.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

1. What is a sizing chamber and why is it important for pressure reduction in CO2 essential oil extraction?

A sizing chamber is a component of a CO2 essential oil extraction system that is used to regulate the flow of carbon dioxide gas. It is important for pressure reduction because it allows for the proper adjustment of pressure levels, which is crucial for the extraction of essential oils from plant material.

2. How does a sizing chamber work?

A sizing chamber works by regulating the flow of carbon dioxide gas through a series of valves and fittings. The size of the chamber can be adjusted to control the pressure and flow rate of the gas, which is necessary for efficient extraction of essential oils.

3. What are the benefits of using a sizing chamber in CO2 essential oil extraction?

Using a sizing chamber in CO2 essential oil extraction offers several benefits. It allows for precise control of pressure levels, which can improve the quality and yield of extracted oils. It also helps to prevent damage to the extraction equipment and ensures a more efficient and consistent extraction process.

4. Are there different types of sizing chambers available for CO2 essential oil extraction?

Yes, there are various types of sizing chambers available for CO2 essential oil extraction, including fixed or variable volume chambers, as well as automated or manual chambers. The type of chamber used will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the extractor.

5. How do I choose the right sizing chamber for my CO2 essential oil extraction process?

Choosing the right sizing chamber for CO2 essential oil extraction will depend on several factors, such as the type of plant material being extracted, the desired pressure and flow rate, and the size of the extraction system. It is important to consult with a knowledgeable supplier or experienced extractor to determine the best sizing chamber for your specific needs.