1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Pressure required for air flow through nozzle

1. Jun 23, 2016 #1
    I need to know the maximum compression speed that can be applied to a rectangular bladder which has a open air port that will avoid rupturing the bladder. The bladder is 40" wide, 100" long, and 10" tall. The compression equipment is a large metal panel that is larger than the surface area of the bladder. The material inside the bladder is air. The port has an internal diameter of 0.50" and is a rigid material. The bladder has a maximum internal psi capacity of 0.5psi to avoid ruptures. Ignoring the flexing of the bladder material, is there a way to calculate this rate of compression that I could achieve while not rupturing the bladder? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2016 #2

johnnyrev

Gold Member

Is this a real life situation, and is the port detachable from the bladder? You could merely install a gauge between the outlet and the .5" orifice to find your answer. Even if it's molded in you could attach a gauge and then another orifice, giving you something akin to a differential compression tester, but it would be inaccurate, probably under-reading.

If this a homework question you should post this on the Homework Forums.

Most of my experience as a tech with measured ports is their usage as limiting factors. So, from my perspective, you would be dealing with the area of the bladder, the time needed for the amount of air from the full bladder to flow through the orifice at .5 PSI (length of the orifice matters}, and I think you should be able to solve for the weight needed from there.

Don't look at how to keep the bladder from rupturing; solve for being able to get the air out, which is calculable easily. Then calculate the weight needed to do that.

If this is real world, you could have flow charts on hand. Or as they say on here a lot, 'Google is your friend.'

//edits for clarity//

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted