Pressurization rate vs. Mass Flow rate

In summary, the conversation was about a valve with specific flow rate requirements and a customer's request for a pressure flow rate instead of a mass flow rate. The speaker was struggling to understand how to calculate this in an adiabatic system. The possible solutions mentioned included using the ideal gas law and a ratio of pressures to densities. The client's request was due to their inability to measure the mass flow rate. Clarification was needed on the tank's location and a diagram was requested for better understanding.
Kerky
Good afternoon all,

I am doing some back of napkin calcs for work and am having trouble finding an answer (or one that I can understand--its been a while since undergrad). We have a valve that has particular flow rate requirements to prevent unseating the valve seal. This is a mass flow rate and our customer has requested a pressure flow rate (so instead of lbm/s, they want psi/s). I can do it for a simple isothermal system using the ideal gas law, but our tanks are adiabatic.

I have found various explanations, like a ratio of pressures = ratio of densities to some function of gamma, and a dimensionless form of the pressure/time for choked mass flow rate.

If anybody can ELI5 or give me some guidance I would be very appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kerky said:
pressure flow rate
What is that?
Is the client being mis-quoted?

256bits said:
What is that?
Is the client being mis-quoted?
No, but their current design does not allow them to measure mass flow rate so they requested a pressurization rate.

Is the tank before or after the valve? Can you provide a diagram? It's very hard to read your mind?

1. What is pressurization rate?

Pressurization rate refers to the rate at which pressure is increased in a closed system, such as a container or chamber.

2. What is mass flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the measurement of how much mass of a substance is flowing through a specific area in a given amount of time.

3. How are pressurization rate and mass flow rate related?

Pressurization rate and mass flow rate are related because as the pressure increases, the mass flow rate also increases. This is because a higher pressure gradient allows for a greater flow of mass through a given area.

4. How does pressurization rate affect mass flow rate?

The pressurization rate directly affects the mass flow rate. A higher pressurization rate will result in a higher mass flow rate, and vice versa.

5. What factors can affect the relationship between pressurization rate and mass flow rate?

The relationship between pressurization rate and mass flow rate can be affected by several factors, such as the temperature and viscosity of the substance being pressurized, the size and shape of the container, and any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path.