1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Pressurization rate vs. Mass Flow rate

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    Good afternoon all,

I am doing some back of napkin calcs for work and am having trouble finding an answer (or one that I can understand--its been a while since undergrad). We have a valve that has particular flow rate requirements to prevent unseating the valve seal. This is a mass flow rate and our customer has requested a pressure flow rate (so instead of lbm/s, they want psi/s). I can do it for a simple isothermal system using the ideal gas law, but our tanks are adiabatic.

I have found various explanations, like a ratio of pressures = ratio of densities to some function of gamma, and a dimensionless form of the pressure/time for choked mass flow rate.

If anybody can ELI5 or give me some guidance I would be very appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2
    What is that?
    Is the client being mis-quoted?

4. Aug 10, 2016 #3
    No, but their current design does not allow them to measure mass flow rate so they requested a pressurization rate.

5. Aug 10, 2016 #4
    Is the tank before or after the valve? Can you provide a diagram? It's very hard to read your mind?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted