Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Pressurization rate vs. Mass Flow rate

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    Good afternoon all,

I am doing some back of napkin calcs for work and am having trouble finding an answer (or one that I can understand--its been a while since undergrad). We have a valve that has particular flow rate requirements to prevent unseating the valve seal. This is a mass flow rate and our customer has requested a pressure flow rate (so instead of lbm/s, they want psi/s). I can do it for a simple isothermal system using the ideal gas law, but our tanks are adiabatic.

I have found various explanations, like a ratio of pressures = ratio of densities to some function of gamma, and a dimensionless form of the pressure/time for choked mass flow rate.

If anybody can ELI5 or give me some guidance I would be very appreciative.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2
    What is that?
    Is the client being mis-quoted?

4. Aug 10, 2016 #3
    No, but their current design does not allow them to measure mass flow rate so they requested a pressurization rate.

5. Aug 10, 2016 #4
    Is the tank before or after the valve? Can you provide a diagram? It's very hard to read your mind?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted