Prime Factorial Proof: Existence of a Prime Between n and n!

In summary, The problem at hand is to prove or disprove that if n is an integer and n > 2, then there exists a prime p such that n < p < n!. One possible approach is to consider the prime factors of n! - 1 and use Bertrand's postulate. This may seem like overkill, but it can be simplified to a one-line proof. Another way to think about it is to take an example, such as 5!, and see that the divisors of n! - 1 are always greater than n. This logic applies to any value of n and ultimately leads to the conclusion that the statement is true.
kingtaf
Prove or disprove: If n is an integer and n > 2, then there exists a prime p such that
n < p < n!.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the prime factors of n! - 1

Bertrand's postulate, anyone?

CRGreathouse said:
Bertrand's postulate, anyone?

That's way over-kill.

Just consider the prime factors of n! - 1, that's a one-line proof for this problem

I considered Bertrand's Postulate but as hochs said it got messy.i still can't figure it out

kingtaf said:
I considered Bertrand's Postulate but as hochs said it got messy.i still can't figure it out

are there prime factors of n! - 1 that is less than n?

hochs said:
That's way over-kill.

Just consider the prime factors of n! - 1, that's a one-line proof for this problem

Here's one way to think about it, kingtaf...

Take, for example 5! = 1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 5 = 120

120 (modulo 5) = 0
120 (modulo 4) = 0
120 (modulo 3) = 0
120 (modulo 2) = 0

Then, what does that make 119 with respect to those moduli? -1, right? Meaning that 2, 3 ,4 and 5 cannot divide 119 evenly. But, by the unique factorization theorem we know that 119 has prime divisors, either 119 if 119 is prime (it isn't) or some combination of primes, each of which is greater than n = 5.

In this case, the divisors of 119 are 7 and 17. 7 > 5. 17 > 5.

I'm using 5 here for demonstration purposes, but hopefully it is plain to see that it doesn't matter what n is. The same logic will hold.

Thank you everyone I got it.

After Hoch's hint using n! - 1, I figured it out. It's actually pretty simple. I feel really stupid!

Related to Prime Factorial Proof: Existence of a Prime Between n and n!

What is a prime factorial proof?

A prime factorial proof is a mathematical proof that uses the concept of prime numbers and factorials to demonstrate the validity of a mathematical statement or equation.

What is a factorial?

A factorial is the product of all positive integers from 1 up to a given number. For example, 5 factorial (written as 5!) is equal to 1 x 2 x 3 x 4 x 5 = 120.

How is a prime factorial proof different from a regular mathematical proof?

A prime factorial proof specifically uses prime numbers and factorials in its logic and calculations, while a regular proof may use other mathematical concepts and operations.

How is a prime factorial proof used in science?

A prime factorial proof is often used in scientific research to validate mathematical equations and theories. It provides a concrete and logical explanation for the validity of a statement or equation.

What are the benefits of using a prime factorial proof?

A prime factorial proof offers a rigorous and structured approach to verifying mathematical statements, making it a valuable tool in scientific research and problem-solving. It also helps to establish the credibility and reliability of a scientific study or theory.